Erowid Canvas Tote/Shopping Bag
This reusable "Ecobag" is made of 100% recycled mid-weight
(10 oz) cotton canvas, printed with the Erowid logo.
Donate now and receive yours!
Nature's Xanax
Sceletium tortuosum
by average27yrold
Citation:   average27yrold. "Nature's Xanax: An Experience with Sceletium tortuosum (exp100280)". Erowid.org. Apr 29, 2019. erowid.org/exp/100280

300-400 mg smoked Sceletium tortuosum (dried)

It's about 9:35pm (sun has just went down) and I just got home from work. I usually smoke a joint of cannabis after work before bed, however, today I noticed that my package of Kanna (Rough Smoker's Cut) has arrived.

After I get into something more comfortable (shorts and a T-Shirt), I open the package to see a product that looks more like it is cut for tea. Still looks easy enough to roll, not powdery or anything. So I roll up a small-ish joint. I wait a couple minutes for the paper to dry completely. (I do this with all joints, otherwise the part that I lick will run.) I noticed a bit fall out the end because of the small, dry cut of the product. Unlike tobacco, or cannabis there is zero fluff to this stuff.

I light it up, burning off the empty paper end, which tastes disgusting. Next hit is actual Kanna, and it tastes very woody. Not a great woody flavor either. Regardless of the bad taste, I proceed to puff down a few more hits.

Half way through I am noticing a very noticeable benzo-type-feel. Unlike a Xanax or Klonopin (which is all of my past benzo experience), it's pretty quick hitting (probably because it is able to be smoked). I'm sure this stuff could probably kill a panic attack very quickly.

It's not a 'high' feeling & nothing like cannabis. I could see cannabis mixing well. It seems like it would add another layer to that sativa-head buzz that I get from good cannabis. Which will most likely be my most common use for kanna. I might smoke it by itself occasionally during a break at work when I can't smoke cannabis because I need a clear head. While there is no recreational high here, this stuff can melt my stress away easily.

I paid $16.95 for an ounce (28g) and I feel like it was worth it. For bad anxiety or panic attacks, it's handy to have around.

Exp Year: 2013ExpID: 100280
Published: Apr 29, 2019Views: 801
Sceletium tortuosum (179) : Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), First Times (2), Unknown Context (20)