Donate BTC or other Cryptocurrency
Your donation supports practical, accurate info about psychoactive
plants & drugs. We accept 9 cryptocurrencies. Contribute a bit today!
One Drug to 'Help' Me Get Off Another One
Mirtazapine & Alprazolam
by Lander
Citation:   Lander. "One Drug to 'Help' Me Get Off Another One: An Experience with Mirtazapine & Alprazolam (exp103062)". Erowid.org. Dec 4, 2017. erowid.org/exp/103062

oral Pharms - Alprazolam (daily)
    oral Pharms - Mirtazapine (daily)

Bad Experience With Mirtazapine

Went to a highly recommended M.D. and stated how much I wished I could get off of Xanax that I use at this point in order to sleep and simply can NOT sleep without it. No Xanax, no sleep after a period of time. Horrible. Drinking alcohol just puts kerosene on this particular 'fire' since it is affects GABA neurotransmitters in a similar way.

So, long story short, I get Mirtazapine and I can indeed cut way back on Xanax and potentially cut it out altogether. I am thrilled. But then... The night time was great, good dreams, but then daytime anxiety started, first in the early evening and then in the mid-day. Brain fogginess and feeling depressed began as well, that lasted 1/2 the morning leading to the heart pounding. This was hell.

Mirtazapine modulates serotonin, norepinephrine and epinephrine (adrenalin) which is great at night but the daytime rebound effects made me waste weeks of my life getting onto, now off, of yet another drug I didn't want.

I am slowly working again to cut back slowly on the Xanax. Mirtazapine was pure hell for me! One drug promised to 'help' me get off another one. Sometimes it is the worst possible thing to do.

Exp Year: 2014ExpID: 103062
Published: Dec 4, 2017Views: 3,059
Pharms - Mirtazapine (311), Pharms - Alprazolam (98) : Health Problems (27), Addiction & Habituation (10), Hangover / Days After (46), Medical Use (47), Not Applicable (38)