Support accurate info and harm reduction.
Donate $50+ and get a Know Your DrugsData tee
No Observable Effect
Melatonin
by Baba_Naga
Citation:   Baba_Naga. "No Observable Effect: An Experience with Melatonin (exp107067)". Erowid.org. Sep 13, 2017. erowid.org/exp/107067

oral Melatonin

I've had serious insomnia for years. Really, it's more of a circadian rhythm problem: when the sun goes down, I fill with energy, even if I'm exhausted and sleep-deprived. I've tried many solutions over the years, including the apparently clinically studied melatonin, capsules gel and chewable, in loads of different brands of 5 or 10 mg concentration.

It's a part of my regular sleep regimen, in the vague and possibly superstitious hope that it'll help me to achieve a healthier cycle. When it's all I have, though, well...it's not very effective.

Lying in bed tossing and turning at 8 in the morning, I've frantically, desperately consumed it by the handful. Many brands, because I know that no government agencies really bother to check the quality of these supplements, or that they contain what they claim.

I have never had a noticeable effect. Not once, even in ridiculous doses up to 100 mg, have I found melatonin to increase my drowsiness.

Exp Year: 2014ExpID: 107067
Published: Sep 13, 2017Views: 917
Melatonin (94) : Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), Retrospective / Summary (11), Alone (16)