In Iquitos in the 70s
Ayahuasca (with Brugmansia?)
by richrd
Citation:   richrd. "In Iquitos in the 70s: An Experience with Ayahuasca (with Brugmansia?) (exp107310)". Erowid.org. Feb 22, 2018. erowid.org/exp/107310

oral Ayahuasca (tea)

I had travelled to Pucallpa in Peru from Lima. Was looking to try Ayahuasca, and had rented a small motorbike and driven around town. The local head of the Guardia Civil stopped me and had me go to the station, told me I couldn't drive legally in Peru, then produced a fine 1 litre bottle of locally made aguardeinte. We drank the whole thing. He asked me if I was trying to find Ayahuasca and I said yes. He told me I would have to hike for days into the rainforest around there to find a shaman, and that they did not like Spanish speakers so I would be in danger. He asked me if I was going to Iquitos, as he knew a brujo there who was honest. I took him up on the offer. He said it would cost me no money, but I should take potatoes and beef to the brujo's house
as in Iquitos potatoes were rare and plaintains too plentiful.

In Iquitos I went to the Brujo's house after leaving my passport and money with the local police, who were pretty kind and helpful. The setting was very welcoming with about a half dozen kids, wife and the brujo. I gave my gift and sat on the couch in the poor, crowded house with all the kids who liked my blond hair. The Brujo took the Ayahuasca with me, but warned we could not drink it all night, as would be the usual convention, as he had to drive taxi the next day. He openly warned me that I would have memory loss as the local brew apparently contained the equivalent of scopolamine, which is why the cops took my passport and money for our mutual safety.

I drank the brew, vomited a bunch into a conveniently placed gourd, and had a very short trip (seemed like) much like salvia. It was okay. I was returned to my $2.00 dollar a day hotel by the local police and picked up my money and passport without problem.

The trip was much like salvia, I was contained in a dew drop. Everything was cool. It was nowhere near as interesting as LSD. It did not change my life. All good but not great.

Exp Year: 1979ExpID: 107310
Published: Feb 22, 2018Views: 621
Ayahuasca (8), Brugmansia (84) : First Times (2), Small Group (2-9) (17)