Spiral Erowid Zip Hoodie
This black mid-weight zip hoodie (80/20) has front pockets,
an Erowid logo on front chest, and a spiral design on back.
Donate and receive yours!
Games of an exhausted mind
sensory deprivation, illness-induced exhaustion
by DoctorStrange
Citation:   DoctorStrange. "Games of an exhausted mind: An Experience with sensory deprivation, illness-induced exhaustion (exp10832)". Erowid.org. Nov 27, 2001. erowid.org/exp/10832

This isn't really a trip report, but something interesting happened to me a few hours ago as I was (unsuccessfully) trying to get to sleep.

I'm on day 3 of what's looking like a severe head/chest cold. As of yet I haven't taken anything to treat it, other than echinacea and 1000mg vitamin C tablets twice a day (this usually works for me, but not this time), so I'm not sure what induced what happened.

I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights, so naturally I'm exhausted. But sleep won't come - the nasal/bronchial irritiation sees to that. Tonight I turned the heat up a bit, pulled the covers over my head, got as relaxed as possible, and tried to clear my mind by counting my heartbeats (this often works for me).

I'm not sure how long I was lying there (seemed like hours), but I started to notice a 'strobing' white light, maybe 10Hz or so. Keep in mind that I can't see anything else, there's no light whatsoever under the covers. This passed quickly, then I noticed the swirling multi-coloured 'plasma' floating in front of me. It got brighter and more colourful by the minute, until I thought to myself how strange this was, then it disappeared. This was the first thought I'd had in a while - I'd lost track of my count long ago. Now my mind started to fill with all kinds of thoughts, memories, all very eery. I started 'day-dreaming', in total darkness, in a sort of disembodied-like state, I was unaware that I had a body - I was *not* dreaming, I was definitely conscious. The images I saw, with a little mental focus, seemed quite real.

Then a coughing-fit set in, and brought me out of it. I became acutely aware that I had a body, unfortunately. A look at the clock showed me I'd been attempting sleep for about two hours. Two hours later and I'm still very awake, writing this report.

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 10832
Published: Nov 27, 2001Views: 10,522
Endogenous (86) : General (1), Alone (16)