Follow @Erowid on Instagram!
For Sleep & Alcoholism
St. John's Wort & Melatonin
by Interesting_Drug
Citation:   Interesting_Drug. "For Sleep & Alcoholism: An Experience with St. John's Wort & Melatonin (exp109876)". Erowid.org. Apr 13, 2017. erowid.org/exp/109876

700 mg oral St. John's Wort (daily)
  3 mg oral Melatonin (daily)

St. Johns Wort For Sleep & Alcoholism

I take melatonin for sleep, the problem is I tend to wake up around 3 a.m. and can not fall back asleep. Usually I take Valerian with the melatonin and the works just fine. But I had recently bought a few bottles of St Johns Wort to help me combat my mild depression/anxiety/alcoholism.

After a few weeks of taking SJW the only effect I had felt was apathy. So I decided to try the pills at night for sleep. The first night I slept very deep and had very lucid dreams much like Valerian root would do except these dreams were not as dark or twisted.

After a while of taking SJW for sleep I also noticed my dependency on alcohol did tend to wane. Not that I did not think about drinking but I would not go quite so far out of my way to get it.

I will continue to take SJW and melatonin for sleep with a few extra herbs here and there to shake up my dream state.

Exp Year: 2017ExpID: 109876
Published: Apr 13, 2017Views: 3,778
St. John's Wort (142), Melatonin (94), Dreams (85) : Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), Health Benefits (32), Not Applicable (38)