First Natural Entheogen Experience
Salvia divinorum
by HappilyAnonymous
From Erowid Extracts Collection
Citation:   HappilyAnonymous. "First Natural Entheogen Experience: An Experience with Salvia divinorum (exp1105)". Erowid.org. May 6, 2001. erowid.org/exp/1105

3.5 g sublingual Salvia divinorum (leaves)

I obtained an ounce of dried Salvia divinorum leaves (Oaxacan wild harvest) on Tuesday, April 25, 2000, and decided to try a small amount on Saturday, April 29 as a test to see if this plant lived up to her reputation. At 9 p.m. EDT I began chewing a quid of rehydrated leaves in a small dark upstairs room, while sitting on a folding chair. I was alone except for four 12-week-old kittens who were in and out of the room.

At 9:15 I started to feel a slight strange intoxication. At this time I swallowed the first quid (waste not, want not!) and began another quid. About ten minutes into the second quid I felt a presence in the room, a very large presence, which was moving closer to me. When I closed my eyes I could see a living entity, of no definite shape, a composite plant/animal that was to me more feminine than masculine. This being had tendrils, tentacles, foliage, hands, all in a vast shapeless mass.

The being came closer, emanating great power and pure love. It engulfed me and I surrendered to her, and was in sweet repose in her loving, caring embrace. In the process of surrendering I had what felt like a long, intense orgasm, but without ejaculation. I could not physically talk with this being, only thinking the words 'Thank you!'. The lovingness of her embrace, and of her spirit, was evident. As part of her now, I vowed to extend this love to all.

At this point the four kittens were trying to jump on my lap, and I realized the kittens were also a part of her, pure spirits, wild and free. I had to move to the floor, as I was totally overwhelmed. After a few minutes I found my voice, and whispered Thank You to the Goddess, the Goddess of Life. After a while I was able to walk to the stairs and made my way downstairs, where the incredible love and teachings continued to flash in my mind.

If I never had Salvia divinorum again I would not be unhappy in the least--what I experienced in those minutes will take the rest of my life to integrate. I may not be able to put into words much of what I experienced, and learned, but I will try; the main thing I learned from this experience is to be a loving person, as loving as the Goddess, and to help life in all its forms. I look forward to exploring Salvia more, with respect. It is a powerful, sacred plant, and I'm grateful and fortunate to have met her. I have used powerful synthetic psychotropes in the past, decades ago, and this is the first natural entheogen I have ever used; there is no comparison. This plant is a teacher and a healer, suitable for those who are either pure in heart or who wish to be.

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 1105
Published: May 6, 2001Views: 30,518
Salvia divinorum (44) : Alone (16), Mystical Experiences (9)