Spiral Erowid Zip Hoodie
This black mid-weight zip hoodie (80/20) has front pockets,
an Erowid logo on front chest, and a spiral design on back.
Donate and receive yours!
Alert Yet Not Very Motivated
Modafinil
Citation:   Lorax. "Alert Yet Not Very Motivated: An Experience with Modafinil (exp111188)". Erowid.org. Nov 7, 2017. erowid.org/exp/111188

300 mg oral Modafinil (pill / tablet)
  100 mg oral Modafinil (pill / tablet)
Iím trying Modafinil for the first time after using Armodafinil, which is similar but more potent, and after years of use/abuse of psychostimulants to try to treat ADHD.

I initially experienced some mild euphoria/clarity of mind/focus when I took my first dose of 300mgs in the morning, which lasted a few hours. I was not expecting to take any more that day. Being used to amphetamines and other stimulants, I continued to seek more when the peak seemed to drop or I got bored - though additional subsequent doses of 100 mgs didnít really enhance my experience. Despite reading several reports on the internet advising against high dosages, I continue to take more, as I wasnít getting the kick I was looking for - convincing myself that I could take it as I have a high tolerance to these kinds of meds and it wouldnít have too many adverse effects.

I had hoping to get a lot done on a pretty boring project for work. While Modafinil is making me more alert, and I am thinking more clearly, I feel more confident and less depressed, I am absolutely not motivated to get my work done. Iíve found myself instead kind of distracted, reading about Modafinil all day, and especially peopleís experiences at high dosages, in order to justify my own excessive intake. Iím having trouble focusing on the one task I need to do, because it is just so boring, and unlike other stimulants, the Moda isnít making it any more interesting.

I experienced dysphoria and anxiety around 2-3pm, realizing that I had forgotten to eat.
After eating, and remembering to eat periodically, most of the side effects have resolved, though I am worried I will have a very difficult night sleeping. Cíest la vie.

Iíve learned my lesson and I think in the future I will limit myself to 300mgs of Moda, if I can control my cravings. I also canít understand why Iím getting cravings to continue taking more since itís not particularly euphoric. Habit, I guess. Luckily the side effects are not that bad (probably due to my high tolerance).

In my experience Armodafinil is more powerful than Modafinil, even when taken at high doses. 150mgs of Armodafinil increases my alertness, but also increases motivation, and helps me work very effectively on tight deadlines. However when I take 300mgs of Armo I notice no benefit, just an increase in anxiety which leads to alcohol cravings.

I guess the conclusion is to take Modafinil just to increase alertness, and it could certainly help with job performance, but I donít expect any kind of high or increased ability to focus on something that I find absolutely boring. For me, at least, 200-300 mgs per day seems the optimal dosage, just as 150mgs is optimal for Armodafinil. Above that it's sort of increased distractedness, anxiety, and insomnia.

Exp Year: 2017ExpID: 111188
Published: Nov 7, 2017Views: 2,416
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Modafinil (217) : Retrospective / Summary (11), Performance Enhancement (50), General (1), Workplace (51)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.