Have you used Psychedelics or MDMA
for anxiety, depression, trauma, or PTSD
Researchers at Johns Hopkins are conducting a survey about LSD, mushrooms, ayahuasca, or MDMA used to help mental health symptoms. You can participate whether your experiences helped or not.
(Must be 18+) Take the Survey!
Palpitations and My Chest Was Just Tight
Morning Glory & Caffeine
by unknownartist
Citation:   unknownartist. "Palpitations and My Chest Was Just Tight: An Experience with Morning Glory & Caffeine (exp112037)". Erowid.org. Dec 22, 2020. erowid.org/exp/112037

80 seeds sublingual Morning Glory (ground / crushed)
    oral Caffeine (liquid)


Dangerous Interaction

This report is about an incident that happened the very last time I dosed. I had been interested in experiencing morning glory seeds and found out that you can just buy them online. So the seeds arrived and I was very careful about starting on a low dose. First time, I chewed and swallowed 10 seeds. Nothing notable but I felt relaxed. Second time 3 days later, I chewed 20 seeds, and same effects were present. Just relaxed and mindful. I upped the next time to 50 seeds. This was a lot like the last few times but my mind felt a little more open. I felt pretty good about how things were going but wasn't getting any hallmark effects. Next time after that I did the same with 120 seeds (soaking them in water and chewing and swallowing), and this was my first experience. It kicked in when I was in the shower, where I felt a darkness coming from the walls and kept questioning if these effects were my own mind or real. There was a point in a few hours when the colour of everything in the living room appeared to turn magenta because I was drinking pink lemonade. It was a mostly positive experience except for that I learned that I was a very anxious person and had a lot of inner demons. I kept talking to myself in my head in the second person about how I was doing, and everything about society and media and life became so obvious that I was surprised that I wasn't constantly realizing everything like this in normal life. There was a strong and pleasant afterglow the next day.

The next time is where I nearly lost my life. My doctor started me on Topamax (topiramate) for mood. I knew it wasn't a good idea to mix these two substances, so I got off of it for a good 3 weeks after fully tapering off. I thought it was out of my system and I was in the clear. There is also not much online about the interaction between the two; just one forum post somewhere where some guy says he felt totally fine taking them both together one time, but then other people tell him to not do it again because there's no research on the interaction. So this time, I decided to take a lower dose than previous because I got a little freaked out that time. This time, I used a coffee grinder to grind 80 seeds up into a pulverized mash first. This made it easy for me to just take the dirt and stick it under my tongue to absorb it through the skin of my mouth (like you're supposed to do with LSD), which I did for a good 20 minutes, and then swallowed.

This time, the anxiety was the first sign that it was kicking in. I chalked this up to me having had a couple fizzy drinks beforehand, and the caffeine interacting with it. An hour later, I start to feel dizzy. Not just a little dizzy, but very dizzy. I used my phone to check my SpO2 level to see if I was ok. My oxygen was at 93%, and it scared be because it's supposed to be 97%-100% normally; I never got a reading like that before. My heart rate was up to 120bpm too. I took some deep breaths and my oxygen went back to normal. So in the following half hour or so, I tried playing some relaxing video games and listening to some music to calm my nerves. Everything was going well enough, until I began to feel dizzy just sitting in my chair. The anxiety is creeping up slowly too. The oxygen read 85%, and I started freaking out. Deep. Breaths. The breathing was helping a little but the anxiety made me feel like I wouldn't get enough oxygen even with all this breathing. Oxygen crept up to 90% - not good enough. I sat outside in the cold hoping that the cold air would snap me out of it. My phone read 70% flat and I was feeling like I was going to pass out, and my hands were clammy and shaking. The heart rate was irregular too, with long beats in between quick flutters. I was having palpitations and my chest was just tight. I just fought. Huge breaths, one after the other. After an actual hour, my oxygen was back up to between 85% and 95%. I felt like I wasn't going to die if I just kept my mind off it. I was good enough to drive to the clinic. I rationalized to myself would I rather die or spend an hour where at least I'm easily accessible to get to a hospital right away if I go unconscious. I knew it wasn't just a panic attack. This was something wrong with my heart. But my story was that I thought I was having a panic attack (not doing drugs). I just thought that I was going to be ok because I was able to control it with breathing at this point.

After signing in and tapping my foot in an anxious manner for about an hour and taking deep breaths in the lobby, I was seen. My blood pressure is normally 110/75, which is normal for a healthy adult. They read 150/90. Fortunately my oxygen was about 95%, so my story about a panic attack was still solid. Symptoms of a panic attack are very similar to what I was experiencing at the moment, except for that blood oxygen during a panic attack stays normal. I very likely had an actual heart attack that by the grace of dumb luck stabilized on its own. Even still, my oxygen was back up and I wasn't feeling too dizzy anymore. But they made me get full diagnostics. They took an EKG. The doctor looked at the chart for a little bit. She looked a little confused but said, 'hmmm no, that's normal.'
They took an EKG. The doctor looked at the chart for a little bit. She looked a little confused but said, 'hmmm no, that's normal.'
They sent me home. Blood work came back normal the next week too.

In conclusion, I'm a stupid stupid person. I had what I think was a heart attack by my own doing, and I didn't even think of the consequences of not saying that there was something wrong with my oxygen. I'm just glad I'm still here and I didn't leave my husband behind.

I have a feeling that ergometrine interacting with caffeine and topiramate were the cause of my episode. I won't be doing that again.

Exp Year: 2018ExpID: 112037
Gender: Female 
Age at time of experience: 28 
Published: Dec 22, 2020Views: 439
[ View as PDF (for printing) ] [ View as LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Switch Colors ]
Morning Glory (38) : Alone (16), Health Problems (27), Combinations (3)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission prior to your downloading the data.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults