Donate BTC or other Cryptocurrency
Your donation supports practical, accurate info about psychoactive
plants & drugs. We accept 9 cryptocurrencies. Contribute a bit today!
Watched Reality Dissolve like Movie
Salvia divinorum & Cannabis
by Magoo
Citation:   Magoo. "Watched Reality Dissolve like Movie: An Experience with Salvia divinorum & Cannabis (exp114423)". Erowid.org. May 22, 2020. erowid.org/exp/114423

2 hits smoked Cannabis
  2 hits smoked Salvia divinorum

My experience with salvia was brief, but substantial.

I was sitting in a park with two friends, both of whom I've shared a multitude of positive psychedelic experiences. Iíll call them G and V. G and I hadnít tried salvia before, and V was excited to introduce us to it. He packed a regular-sized bowl in a pipe along with some weed. I should also note that weíre all avid weed smokers; Iíve experienced a variety of highs, from the uncomfortable to the euphoric. However none were like this.

It was a beautiful day; there were few people around, other than the occasional jogger passing by. We were relaxing and listening to some 60s rock. First, G took two hits, holding them 10 secs each. Afterwards she said ďwoahĒ and went quiet. During her experience we all listened to the music, sometimes asking her what she was feeling and seeing. Mainly we laid back and watched the sky peacefully. Her relaxed demeanor made me less nervous to try it myself.

Soon after hers was over, I was ready for a bowl. V packed me a new bowl, mixed some salvia in, and I took two hits. The harshness of the smoke was very unlike weed, so I struggled to hold it in for so long. On the exhale I started coughing, and my chest contracted painfully.

Then, two things happened, and Iím not sure in which order. One thing was that as I coughed, everything I saw glitched like a Windows screen error. Every movement had a copy until there were infinite copies. I struggled to make sense of my surroundings and the order of time.
I struggled to make sense of my surroundings and the order of time.

Another thing was that, as I continued to cough, it felt like I was in a movie theatre. Everything I heard sounded further away, and loud like some Dolby audio. My vision was like a rectangular movie frame, just surrounded by black.

During all this I struggled to regain my breath. Usually while coughing I'm inhaling fresh air, which relaxes the pain in my chest. Well this time that wasnít happening. It felt like I was trying to inhale some fresh air, but my throat was closed up. I was gasping.

Right when I had the realization that I couldnít breathe, everything went from stereotypical psychedelic weirdness to overwhelming. I held my head in my hands to try and compose myself. I didnít want to ruin the fun of G and V; they were talking and humming along to the music.

I looked up and saw the sky was neon pink and I didnít recognize my surroundings. I knew that the people near me were my friends, but I couldnít remember how I knew them. I couldnít remember who I was. Suddenly, the audio of the music was so loud I couldnít think. My heart also joined in the chaos; it beat so loud I could feel it in my head, similar to the way a migraine feels. I still struggled to breathe.

All these phenomena added onto each other and I realized I couldnít hold my shit together anymore. I interrupted the conversation and asked for them to turn the music off. My chest was heaving and looking back, I now know I was hyperventilating and having a panic attack. Iíve never experienced that before. It just felt like I was dying.

Immediately G and V turned the music off and comforted me. They told me I was going to be okay and although I had no clue who they were, I knew I could trust them. Vís voice in particular was especially comforting; hearing it made a feeling of warmth run over me, and I felt incredibly safe and secure. After about 3 minutes or so, my heart stopped beating in my head, and the sky gradually faded to a more reasonable pink.

My friends asked how I was, and I told them how terrifying it all felt. We all spent the rest of the day sober.

Ultimately, Iím grateful I tried salvia. Iíve always had a deep curiosity for psychedelics, so Iím glad I tried it in a safe place with people I trusted. At that same time, I can say with complete confidence that Iíll never try it again.

Exp Year: 2020ExpID: 114423
Published: May 22, 2020Views: 337
Salvia divinorum (44) : First Times (2), Difficult Experiences (5), Combinations (3), Small Group (2-9) (17)