Subjective Effects of Psychedelics Survey
Researchers at the Psychedelic Research Lab at
Monash University, Australia are conducting a survey
about the subjective effects of classic psychedelics
(LSD, Psilocybin, Mescaline, Ayahuasca, & MDMA).
When Reality Becomes Fuzzier Than It Should
Nitrous Oxide
by Styx
Citation:   Styx. "When Reality Becomes Fuzzier Than It Should: An Experience with Nitrous Oxide (exp116015)". Erowid.org. Dec 27, 2021. erowid.org/exp/116015

3 hits inhaled Nitrous Oxide (gas)

So for a bit of context; I’d gone to the mountains to go skiing with my family and generally just have a good time but got sick after a day or two of being there, leading to my logic to be a bit off.

My family and some friends we had gone with were out skiing at the time, leaving me alone in the cabin we’d rented. Me, being slightly delirious, thought it was the perfect opportunity to conduct an “experiment” of sorts. I’d tried Nitrous Oxide once before with a friend and found it quite enjoyable, so I decided it was a good idea to take this opportunity and see if it felt any different when I was sick.

I sat on the floor with my can of whipped cream (I’d normally go for cartridges but I wasn’t feeling up for walking to the store and it’s pretty much the same thing anyways), emptied my lungs as much as I could, before completely filling them with the N2O.
After exhaling again I waited for a few seconds before it hit me; my thoughts began to get more disconnected and meaningless and everything seemed to me as if it was from a badly rendered video game- as if I could glitch through objects at any given moment.
I repeated it two more times, letting the effects build until I ran out. I felt almost drunk due to my significant decrease in motor control, but felt much more fuzzy and euphoric. My vision became blurry and I couldn’t unblur it, which quickly morphed into full on tunnel vision. I couldn’t focus on anything and the walls seemed to almost be swaying. Any sensations I experienced became more fuzzy and muffled. At one point I attempted writing down what I was feeling but had to stop because my handwriting looked so wrong and unfamiliar.

The whole experience lasted for just under 5 minutes, but I spent about half an hour just sitting there thinking about what I’d just experienced and letting reality just slowly sink back in as I regained the ability to form coherent thoughts. It was a surreal experience that I can’t entirely put into words, but it was definitely a pleasant one that really opened my mind to a lot of things that I can’t quite pinpoint but definitely won’t ever forget either.

Exp Year: 2021ExpID: 116015
Published: Dec 27, 2021Views: 174
Nitrous Oxide (40) : General (1), Alone (16)