Stunning Huichol Yarn Art
Donate $150 or more and get a beautiful Huichol yarn
painting, hand made by Huichol artists in Mexico.
They make fabulous gifts! (6, 8, 12 & 24 inch pieces available.)
What Does It Take to Turn You On....?
Amyl Nitrite
by Gistabishi
Citation:   Gistabishi. "What Does It Take to Turn You On....?: An Experience with Amyl Nitrite (exp1165)". Erowid.org. Oct 20, 2000. erowid.org/exp/1165

inhaled Inhalants - Nitrites (gas)

When I was at school, there was a craze for amyl nitrite, partly because of the Suede song. You could buy it in little bottles from headshops. The instructions said 'Leave open, then breathe. Do not inhale directly from bottle'. That was what I did the first time (I was alone), and nothing happened. My boyfriend showed me that you had to practically shove the bottle up your nose. I could actually feel it travelling in my blood before it hit the brain. Then...KABOOM! The amyl buzz is a swirling rush, and I always felt very detached from everything. Sounds in particular seemed distant. My face would go very hot and red, and my heart would pound, as would my head. The buzz is over after about 1 minute, but the red face and headache take longer to go away. I eventually stopped doing amyl for two reasons. The first is that after a while I built up a tolerance, so I'd get a 10 second buzz for a 2 minute headache. Not really worthwhile. Also, I was growing up and amyl seemed rather naff and childish, like an upgraded version of sniffing glue (which I've never done). One thing that's good about amyl, is that if you have a very small amount of MDMA, you can use the amyl to bring you up.

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 1165
Published: Oct 20, 2000Views: 27,844
Inhalants - Nitrites (147) : Retrospective / Summary (11), Unknown Context (20)