Subjective Effects of Psychedelics Survey
Researchers at the Psychedelic Research Lab at
Monash University, Australia are conducting a survey
about the subjective effects of classic psychedelics
(LSD, Psilocybin, Mescaline, Ayahuasca, & MDMA).
Good Feelings Underwater
Nitrogen Narcosis
by Trent
Citation:   Trent. "Good Feelings Underwater: An Experience with Nitrogen Narcosis (exp18370)". Erowid.org. Oct 22, 2002. erowid.org/exp/18370

If you are familiar with scuba diving, then you probably know about nitrogen narcosis. It basically occurs while your scuba diving, usually at deep depths. It is just a random feeling of intoxication that occurs.

I was on a trip to Belize and we were at a scuba diving area with many sharks. The maximum depth was 130. As we were descending, at about 90 feet, I began to feel a bit confused and dizzy. I didn't really think much of it until I realized it was nitrogen narcosis. I've been intoxicated many times, so I felt as if I could control myself. They tell you that if you get 'narc-ed' you should ascend until you feel normal, but I was feeling so happy that I just kept descending with the rest of the group. It was a great feeling. Every time I breathed out, my bubbles sounded musical. I actully laughed underwater at how funny this was. It felt like pure bliss in the deep, blue water with black-tip sharks swimming around me everywhere. The sharks were pretty much harmless I guess. The whole experience felt like a big dream and I was still a little confused when we reached the surface. I just sat on the boat thinking about what happened.

Overall, it was definitely a fun experience.

Exp Year: 2002ExpID: 18370
Published: Oct 22, 2002Views: 11,491
Nitrogen Narcosis (189) : General (1), Small Group (2-9) (17)