Get the Erowid "Words" T-shirt
Contribute $50 and show support for accurate drug information!
Physically Difficult
AMT & Cannabis
Citation:   Barbadi. "Physically Difficult: An Experience with AMT & Cannabis (exp22402)". Oct 2, 2007.

T+ 0:00
30 mg oral AMT (powder / crystals)
  T+ 2:00 30 mg oral AMT (powder / crystals)
  T+ 7:00 2 bowls smoked Cannabis (plant material)
I would like to start by saying that I consider myself and my partner that went through this with me very experienced with AMT, having ingested the chemical some 20 times with various doses of up to 60mg all in one ingestion and combining with marijuana.

We were at my house, and while my mother and sister and brother were all here asleep, there was no sense of anxiety or weariness because they have all experienced psychedelics before and we were planning on being outside anyway. We were excited about trying this again with marijuana.

It is about 9 PM when my girlfriend and I ingest 30 mg of AMT each. We had ordered a gram through the mail and had cut it into 32 equal piles of about 30 mg each. Having been through the ingestion several times, the horrible chemical taste being slightly worse each time, we decided we would wrap up the AMT in a little chunk of a paper towel and then swallow it to hide the taste. I think that may have been the biggest mistake ever. We both ingested another 30 mg using the same method as before at 11 PM.

We figured it would take a little while for the effects to kick in which it did. It was probably about 11:30 before we feel anything. Not many visuals as expected from AMT, but the body load is definitely there. We sit and wait for the effects of the second dose to kick in which took FOREVER. It was about 3:30 AM when we decided that maybe it had degraded after not ingesting in quite some time.

4 AM - We decide to some some cannabis. We pack two medium size bowls between the two of us. After the first hit, we both note a significant difference in the visual field. Everything was finally alive. We had realized that the AMT was finally taking its toll, and got a little weary thinking about how long it might last into the next day. Usually it takes about 17-18 hours before we are completely sober again.

4:30 AM - I feel very dehydrated and get a little nervous because my body does not feel anything like it usually does on AMT. It feels very drained and poisoned. I've had the poisoned feel a little before but nothing like this. It usually only comes before I have to urinate and then recedes until I have to urinate again. I believe I drank more water than I probably should have. We also think that this substance may draw water from my body like alcohol does. It feels similar.

5:00 AM - My open and closed eye visuals have increased TREMENDOUSLY over the past half hour. My heart rate has increased, as always when dealing with AMT. It was a little higher than usual this time. No big deal, just a little higher dose (not necessarily the case, just how I thought of it at the time). I continue drinking more water, because I figured the you can't really have too much water, and like I noted before it feels like I am releasing poison when I urinate, so I figured the more I drank and urinated the better I would feel. This is a great idea IF YOU CAN URINATE!! I felt like I had semi-lost control of my body because I could not urinate. It was very obvious that my body was ready for it, but I couldn't work the right muscles to get it out.

5:15 AM - Not too worried about it, because I usually have some trouble urinating on AMT anyway. I am a little more cautious than before though, because I can usually 'squeeze it out,' unlike this case. I decide to take a quick shower because I figured being surrounded by warm water would make it much easier to pee, still didn't happen.

5:30 AM - A small fear develops between us because my body load and visuals are still increasing, not to mention my heart rate, which I think may be a result of the fear and anxiety.

5:45 AM - My stomach feels a little upset so I decide to try to vomit. I puke up nothing but water (lots of it) and the two paper towels with off-white substance on them. This makes me feel much better both physically and psycholoically knowing that the majority is out of my system.

6:30 AM - We have been laying in bed listening to quite music for quite some time, trying not to think about my body condition, knowing it will eventually pass, and that if I worry about it, it will only get worse.

7:15 AM - I start to see what I can desribe as little fireworks or fire flies or something to that effect in my visual field everywhere I look. I would've normally considered this to be a neat visual effect, but I have experienced this before. One time in my back yard I was just playing around and decided to run really fast as some turkey buzzards and scream and scare them away. I ran and jumped and while in the air I scream as loud as I can, and when I land I see little explosions identical to what I saw on AMT this night. Knowing that it must have something to do with being dizzy or crossing some sort of physical line, I start to panic.

I tell me girlfriend and I feel horrible for putting her through this now, because she honestly thought I might be dieing. For the most part we knew I'd be fine, but the thought was still there in the back of our minds. Because I am pretty scared at this point my heart rate sky-rocketed. Because I am into music I am familiar with different bmp (tempos) and while I was tripping rather intensely at the time I could've over or under exaggerated, but my guess is that my heart was probably about 210-220 beats per minute, which is extremely high. She didn't want to scare me at the time but afterwards she told me that she actually HEARD my heart beat from about 2 feet away. Once again this could've been a hallucination, but I talked to some people that know about anatomy and apparently if it's beating hard enough it hits your rib cage and you can hear it.

8:30 AM - I decide it's time to urinate, no matter what. I succesfully pee. Not nearly as much as I hoped but at least that means it's passing and I feel a teeeeny tiny bit better. Psychologically I feel much better about the situation knowing that I have either regained the use of the muscles or the AMT is no longer restricting my body.

All throughout the rest of the morning (until about 11 or 11:30 AM) I urinated in all honestly probably about 30 times. It may have only been a third of what I would normally excrete each time, but it was still a LOT of water leaving my system. At some points when I had waited longer than normal to pee again I noticed some traces of the little explosions again.

Also at about 4 or 5 PM that same night I had diarrhea, but this was not normal diarrhea at all. It was ENTIRELY water, no solid waste whatsoever. Though I realized this as probably not being a very good thing it felt very cleansing.

Conclusion: I believe a lot of different factors made this situation the way it was. We believe that we probably ingested this chemical WAY TOO OFTEN, sometimes twice a week. We also think the paper towel had a lot to do with it. It seems as though instead of being absorbed into our bodies, our stomachs were trying to digest it along with the paper towels. I also think water poisoning had something to do with it. I think it is a very important fact to stay hydrated, but that means drinking 8-12 glasses of water a day. I don't think you have to drink any more than you would sober, unless of course you are sweating a lot like people that go to clubs and pass out from being dehydrated. I had A LOT of water in me. And I am not sure if the Cannabis had anything to do with it because we had previously smoked with AMT a couple times and achieved excellent results.

All in all, I think this situation can easily be avoided. It was been about 4 1/2 months since the experience and my body feels 100% better. I experienced some stomach problems for about a month afterwards. I had lots of diarrhea and my defecation schedule was all messed up. I would usually defecate once a day which turned into 3 times a day, but only every 3 days. I have not ingested AMT since, and I doubt I will anytime soon, but I think in moderation it is not necessarily a bad thing. This is not meant to scare anyone. I am only trying to inform you so this doesn't happen to you or anyone you know.

Exp Year: 2002ExpID: 22402
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: Not Given
Published: Oct 2, 2007Views: 11,401
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
AMT (7) : General (1), Health Problems (27), Hangover / Days After (46), Post Trip Problems (8), Difficult Experiences (5), Small Group (2-9) (17)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
No AI Training use allowed without written permission.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults