Erowid relies on the generosity of the public for funding.
Please, include Erowid Center in your charitable giving!
Caffeine Psychedelic?
Coffee
by Jsorex
Citation:   Jsorex. "Caffeine Psychedelic?: An Experience with Coffee (exp2564)". Erowid.org. Oct 16, 2000. erowid.org/exp/2564

1 cup oral Caffeine (liquid)

Today I had an incredible experience. I was at work and feeling tired, so I decided to try some coffee to help me stay awake. Normally I never use coffee, so I wasn't really convinced that it would help.

Using the amount of coffee that I'd normally use for an entire pan, I made one really strong cup of coffee. I drank it really fast and sat waiting. Very rapidly it began to effect me. What I felt was a tingly feeling all over my neck and face. As the effects grew, I began to have visual distortions and mild hallucinations and moving was almost impossible, I felt heavy. The hallucinations were mostly: books moving on the shelf, the shelf coming closer to me in a threatening way, the ceiling turn light red, some fogginess in vision, and bars and films in mid-air that rocked gently back and forth. Soon after this I began to get very paranoid. I thought that everybody knows what I am doing and they hate it, that they really hate me and similar things. Besides that, I felt good the entire time, euphoric almost. After the effects settled, about 2 hours later, I was really agitated and frustrated, and even more tired than earlier.

I don't know what caused these hallucinations, since that is not something commonly associated with caffeine. I have used alot of psychedelics in my life, yet never any stimulants. I figure that my psychedelic use may have something to do with it, since I also find pot and tobacco very psychedelic. I know what shamans mean when they occasionally mention tobacco as their strongest spirit. But that's for another report yet to come...

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 2564
Published: Oct 16, 2000Views: 34,198
Caffeine (11) : Unknown Context (20), General (1)