Follow @Erowid on Instagram!
Brain Damage
Methamphetamine
by anon
Citation:   anon. "Brain Damage: An Experience with Methamphetamine (exp26980)". Erowid.org. Aug 9, 2018. erowid.org/exp/26980

insufflated Methamphetamine
    smoked Methamphetamine

The first time I ever uses speed was in 1997, I was 21. I was hooked the very first time I used it, it had me in its cage. It caused pleasant effects the very first time, yet I was obsessed with it. I thought about it constantly, 'speed' went through my brain, mind, body and soul. It consumed my thoughts, I couldn't get it off my mind. I've sniffed and smoked but never 'slammed' or injected it.

Over the next two years I hung out with 'hard core' tweekers and depleated my life savings, 40,000 dollars. I dropped out of college. If that wasn't bad enough, I developed a mental illness called manic depression. I think it was in my blood line but the speed I used definitely made things worse.
I think it caused neurological damage. I talked to my psychiatrist about it, since I'm one meds now, and she said it can make dopamine dendrites very sensitive, damaging the myelin sheath around the neuron.

Well the manic depression is a very difficult illness to deal with, I take meds that give me side effects, like hair loss, headache, somnolence-escessive lethargy. I also think the speed damaged my dopamine neurons in other ways, perhaps the reuptake system, in which my neurons have difficulty taking dopamine back into the cell. It's stolen years out of my life and now I can't go back and undo the damage. It's pure evil, a bad bad drug indeed!

Exp Year: 1997-2000ExpID: 26980
Published: Aug 9, 2018Views: 1,378
Methamphetamine (37) : Retrospective / Summary (11), Addiction & Habituation (10), Depression (15), Health Problems (27), Unknown Context (20)