Modern humans must learn how to relate to psychoactives
responsibly, treating them with respect and awareness,
working to minimize harms and maximize benefits, and
integrating use into a healthy, enjoyable, and productive life.
I'm Gonna Die Because Of My Drug Of Choice
Barbiturates (Butalbital with Acetaminophen)
by Pleasure Seeker
Citation:   Pleasure Seeker. "I'm Gonna Die Because Of My Drug Of Choice: An Experience with Barbiturates (Butalbital with Acetaminophen) (exp29921)". Erowid.org. Feb 7, 2004. erowid.org/exp/29921

repeated oral Barbiturates (daily)
      Acetaminophen

Although I've been in the medical field for several years, I came to the information late that Tylenol (acetominophen) destroys the liver. I've never been able to experience pleasure and when I met Butalbital (originally prescribed for migraines) I fell in love with it. Even when I learned of the damage it caused I didn't slow down a bit, continued my daily use - I am truly addicted to the stuff. I enjoyed myself enormously for the first two years, but over the past year the high has been about one-tenth of what I used to feel... yet I continue to use. I've been able to get as much as I need on the web and have been 'living to use and using to live' as they say in Narcotics Anonymous (which I don't attend).

My liver hurts, I'm fatigued every day, I experience confusion at home and work, lost a lot of weight because I can't eat much - all the classic symptoms. When I look in the mirror, I think, 'One year? Two?' I'm writing this first of all to let people know about the myth that Tylenol is harmless, and secondly to encourage folks to GET HELP with addiction, and EARLY. No one should have to suffer my fate.

If you have an addiction with a similar drug and you're fortunate enough to catch it early, I recommend the following:
-Get yourself into recovery.
-Daily,take glutathione, milk thistle, N-acetylcystine (300-600mg) and at least 1 gram of vitamin C with each dose. These supplements protect the liver to some degree. All of these may be found at any health food store.
-If you smoke, quit.
-Alcohol accelerates the damage - NEVER take the two together.
-While you're at the health food store buy a liver detox formula. There are several good ones.
These precautions are recommended for even the casual user of Tylenol, say, 15 pills a week.
Good luck to you.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 29921
Published: Feb 7, 2004Views: 52,859
Barbiturates (210) : Not Applicable (38), Addiction & Habituation (10), Health Problems (27), Preparation / Recipes (30)