Pharmie Junkie
Venlafaxine (Effexor)
by Taai
Citation:   Taai. "Pharmie Junkie: An Experience with Venlafaxine (Effexor) (exp35138)". Erowid.org. Jun 28, 2007. erowid.org/exp/35138

37.5 mg oral Pharms - Venlafaxine (daily)

I started taking Effexor XR in April of 2003 for panic disorder. It was supposedly going to be a short-term treatment, but here I am, still taking it. to tell the truth, Effexor is a nightmare. I consider myself experienced when it comes to drugs. I have done almost every kind of readily available illicit drug, from shroomies to crystal to e to lsd and back again. But I have never come across something that feels this bad to come off of-- not even heroin! Heroin made me vomit and itch when I came off, yes, but I was not convinced I would die, and it did not give me such bad tachycardia that I could hardly breathe for the pain of my heart racing. But that is Effexor. A nightmare.

I thought I'd have no problem stopping, but I have tried 4 times now to wean myself off it, and the fact remains: I cannot spend weeks in bed, dope-sick... and it does take weeks.

I suffered from serotonin syndrome when some asshole doctor at mental health upped my Effexor dose to 150mg. If my boyfriend hadn't been on top of it, I probably would've died. The symptoms I experienced: profuse sweating, asthma, dilated pupils, racing heart, hyperthermia, mania, delusions, visual hallucinations (think cartoon acid). It was really scary, but I had no idea what was going on-- I was far too ill.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 35138
Published: Jun 28, 2007Views: 8,097
Pharms - Venlafaxine (191) : Health Problems (27), Addiction & Habituation (10), Medical Use (47), Various (28)