Have You Had a Belief Changing
Psychedelic Experience?
Take this Survey from our friends at Johns Hopkins
Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research!
Leaves and Cusco
Coca
by Sunhawk
Citation:   Sunhawk. "Leaves and Cusco: An Experience with Coca (exp38103)". Erowid.org. Apr 14, 2006. erowid.org/exp/38103

4 leaves buccal Coca

When I was in Peru this past January, I had the chance to chew coca leaves. In my first experience, in Cusco city, I chewed approx. four leaves, with a bit of lime to help digestion. Mostly it just tasted nasty, although there was some numbness in my cheek where I was holding the wad. I felt slightly more cheerful/buzzed afterwards.

The second time was in an outlying village at elevation. I was having an *extremely* hard time breathing, and chewed about three or four leaves in hopes that it would open my lungs up a bit. They helped *immensely*; breathing was much easier and I was able to complete the hike.

In summation: Not worth it, unless I'm using it as the Quechua people would, to aid in breathing or as an appetite supressant. I got a very, very mild high from it, and a nice, numb mouth. The tea tastes wonderful, as well.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 38103
Published: Apr 14, 2006Views: 13,670
Coca (158) : Various (28), Retrospective / Summary (11)