Review Erowid at GreatNonprofits.org!
Help us be a "Top Rated Nonprofit" for the 10th year in a row
and spread info about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Pain Management
Methadone
by EETxFUK
Citation:   EETxFUK. "Pain Management: An Experience with Methadone (exp44269)". Erowid.org. Sep 11, 2008. erowid.org/exp/44269

40 mg oral Methadone (daily)

It all started about six-odd years ago. I was in a car accident which left me with two slipped discs in my lumbar (lower) spine, the pain was the worst I have ever felt, and has since turned me into a human barometer, whenever bad weather is coming my back let's me know, to the point where I had to sit with my back perfectly straight as to not sweat myself to death from the pain, but that's all besides the point.

I've had a pain management doctor for about two or so years, I see him once a week to discuss how I'm coping with a permanent back injury, he gives me samples of new medications to see if they would help more then the others I used to take. Then as I turned 18 he started told me all about methadone and how it is usually an option to people in my situation. Little did I know how much I would have to go through to actually get to take a prescription home with me.

Due to the fact that methadone is an opiate I had to go to a special clinic EVERY DAY (seven days a week), I had to sign in, show my insurance cards, 80 forms of ID, then my doctor had to be called. Then I would go into a closed doctor's office type room and I would be made to take the 1/4 tablet (10 mg starting dose) in front of the doctor, she would then check my mouth thoroughly to make sure I didn't cheek it. All in all this went on for a solid 50 days straight, my dosage was gradually upped, and I was handed my blue prescription for the 25 horse pills.

As far as the effects, they took, and still take roughly 45 minutes for me to notice it coming on. My heart speeds up a little, and it puts me in an exceptionally good mood, most of the stuff I worry about on a daily basis seems to be forced into the back of my mind, not to mention the pain in my back actually lessens a substantial amount. At it's peak I have a lot more energy then usual, I'm up for doing stuff I usually don't like doing (cleaning, typing this, etc.). It also seems to help me fall asleep a lot easier then usual. All in all methadone has made dealing with pain a lot easier.

Exp Year: 2005ExpID: 44269
Published: Sep 11, 2008Views: 14,989
Methadone (166) : General (1), Retrospective / Summary (11), Health Benefits (32), Medical Use (47), Not Applicable (38)