I Woke Up in a Hospital Bed
Citation:   speedisbad. "I Woke Up in a Hospital Bed: An Experience with Amphetamines (exp45165)". Erowid.org. Jun 25, 2007. erowid.org/exp/45165

  repeated insufflated Amphetamines (powder / crystals)
[Erowid Note: Driving while intoxicated, tripping, or extremely sleep deprived is dangerous and irresponsible because it endangers other people. Don't do it!]

It was the summer after my senior year, all I wanted to do was party. During senior year I had tried cocaine and ended up with a small habit. However it wasn't terribly hard to kick, mostly because I lacked the funding to continue doing it and I couldn't bring myself to steal or any of the like to fund my bad habits. Cocaine was my drug of choice, but now that I'd quit I didn't really want to take the risk of doing it again and letting it come back as more than a habit. Aside from blow, I've smoked marijuana countless times and tripped shrooms twice, and i've decided that neither of the drugs were for me.

Two days after school got out I was talking to my girlfriend about what she wanted to do that night, and explaining to her that I was feeling tempted to pick up an 8ball, but really wanted to try to avoid coke for as long as I could this summer. She suggested I talk to her friend about finding some speed. I'd heard it was similar in effects to coke, but much cheaper, I'd never really thought about trying it though. So anyways later that night I called up my girlfriend who we will call A's friend. A's friend jen said her boyfriend would run be over a gram bag of speed asap. Sure enough about 5 minutes later I had my bag of a white crystally powder sitting in my hand.

Neither A nor I had done speed before, so i figured we would start off slow...Just a bump off of a my key. Recalling how pleasant it was to snort coke I was unprepared for the burn to come..however after about 30 seconds the burn went away and I felt great. It was my first time with blow all over again. A did two bumps then I did two more. It was now about 8:00pm and since it was summer time the sun was just starting to set, so I suggested we take a little drive and go watch the sun set...

My car flew, and I was able to dodge and avoid traffic like never before...I drove in a way I wouldn't have sober. (Be careful just because you feel like you have super powers doesn't mean you really do). Anyways we came to our spot and watched the sun set...We did one more bump each just to get back up a little before we hit up my friend j's party.

It wasn't exactly a rager, but I knew everyone there and at about 10:00 A and I decided we'd go do a bunch more speed to get the night started. We did 4 bumps each this time....Upon walking back out to the party I was the highest i've ever been. I noticed however that I still had this urge in the back of my mind to go do more. Fearing that I would if I had the bag I asked A to hold it for me. She took it and asked if I minded if she took a little more out when she felt like she was starting to come down. Not thinking, I gave her the ok and said something along the lines of 'Sure, do whatever you want with it.' Well her and a couple of her girlfriends did most of what was left in the bag only saving the last 3 or 4 bumps for me knowing i'd be pissed if they polished off all of it.

About 2/3 of the way through the night, I was holding A and noticed she was shaking a little. She said she was fine, but I could tell something was wrong. Well after about 5 minutes it went away and she was back up bouncing around the room. I however was growing tired and she saw this and asked me if I wanted the rest of the speed. I of course took it redily.....it was about 1:00 now. I wanted to get the most out of the speed I had left so I borrowed a crack pipe that my friend J kept around for kicks and freebased about 2 bumps worth..Of course since I was doing it A wanted to do it also.

Apparently earlier when her and her girlfriends did a large amount of what was in the bag, it was mostly her and not her girlfriends. I however was unaware of this small detail.

She smoked about a bump worth and I smoked the last of it.

I was feeling great, and so was she so we headed back to my house which was only a few minutes away to go be with just each other for awhile. When we got back I saw my older brother had some friends over and we sat down on the couch to talk with them before heading back to my room. When A sat down on me, I noticed she was shaking again..as I paid closer attention I noticed her breathing was extremely shallow. I asked her what was wrong (already having a pretty good idea), and of course she said nothing. I grabbed her wrist and her pulse felt high although I really couldn't tell, it might have just been the speed making me think that. Her breathing worsened and now she couldn't stop shaking, she was sweating but said she was cold...So I wrapped her in a blanket, carried her out to the car and got to the hospital as fast as I could drive. For these few minutes my mind almost completely shut off, I was so fucking worried / scared that I was getting intense adrenaline rushes and they basically put my mind and body on over drive and I lost all control. I bearly remember what happend, the next thing I knew I was in the ER with her shaking horribly in the chair next to me. I didn't pass out but the expirience was just very much too intense and I couldn't handle all of the action + the speed.

No one was coming to treat her so I stood up and started bothering the lady at the window...I was worried we wouldn't get in soon enough but then two paramedics came out with a stretcher to take her back.

When the doctor came into the room he asked me to leave...and then when I said no he told me to leave so I went back out to the waiting room. I don't remember too much about this, other than time was moving so incredibly slowly. Why can't they work faster damnit I want to go back in there. So I made my way back into the room and saw A was hooked up to an IV and an oxygen mask. This sight overwhelmed me, and scared me. The doctor started to talk to me but I couldn't understand a word she was saying, this got my nerves going even more, then the tunnel vision started and my heart started to beat extremely fast. My pulse pounding rapidly all through my body and especially in my head is the last thing that I can remember. About two hours later I woke up in a hospital bed in the room next to A. I had had a mild heart attack because of all the stress + speed.

Alone I'm sure I would have been fine, but combined with all the stress my healty able bodied self had a heart attack. Since this expirience I have avoided uppers completely.

Just a little background on myself, I'm currently 18, and was 18 at the time of the expirience, I'm in no way over weight, as a matter of fact I run the 400 in track, as well as working out with weights. After I woke up from the heart attack I didn't sleep for an entire day.


Exp Year: 2005ExpID: 45165
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: Not Given
Published: Jun 25, 2007Views: 39,813
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Amphetamines (6) : Various (28), Overdose (29), Train Wrecks & Trip Disasters (7), Health Problems (27)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults