individuals who have used a psychedelic while in a
romantic relationship, for an anonymous survey.
Both individuals & couples are invited to participate.
Zero Trip, Horrible Peripheral Effects
Dimenhydrinate
by K
Citation:   K. "Zero Trip, Horrible Peripheral Effects: An Experience with Dimenhydrinate (exp4720)". Erowid.org. Jan 3, 2002. erowid.org/exp/4720

600 mg oral Dimenhydrinate (pill / tablet)

Twelve 50-mg tablets of OTC dimenhydrinate HCl were taken orally with water, 6 hours after dinner (night). Onset of threshold effects was 30 minutes after ingestion. Setting was neutral. Personal narrative:

I felt slightly lightheaded but suffered no nausea. Visual effects: Slight undulation of floor and walls, transient motion signals, somewhat more vivid contours (perhaps due to pupil dilation). Auditory effects: I experienced minor auditory hallucinations that consisted of very short snippets, such as someone yelling my name, someone saying 'excuse me,' the noise of midday traffic, hurried footsteps. These hallucinations would abruptly begin and end, and although I was startled by them, I never confused them with reality. There was no personalization or change in internal narrative mode.

So the psychological effects were rather unspectacular. However, the peripheral somatic effects were like torture. I was constantly twitching and twisting; seriously, when I looked in the mirror I thought that I looked like someone with Parkinson's disease. My pulse was very high (~160 bpm), and I could feel my heart beating strongly when I put my hand against my chest. When I attempted to inhibit this twitching, I suffered an aggressive buildup of tension in my chest and my pulse zoomed even faster, until I could no longer bear the discomfort; when I finally stopped trying to stay still, the built-up tension released in the form of a violent and painful flexing motion along the length of my body. Sleep was out of the question. I spent about 8 hours twiching like (very exhausting) until I came down from the trip at around breakfast the next day.

I strongly discourage anyone from trying this drug at recreational doses.

Exp Year: 1999ExpID: 4720
Published: Jan 3, 2002Views: 30,345
Dimenhydrinate (17) : General (1), Unknown Context (20)