More than 2 million people use Erowid every month.
During the pandemic, only 70 of those contribute $1 or more.
Donations are down significantly. Please Contribute.
Subtle but Substantial
Passion Flower
by Shoebox
Citation:   Shoebox. "Subtle but Substantial: An Experience with Passion Flower (exp47312)". Erowid.org. Jan 8, 2010. erowid.org/exp/47312

1 bowl smoked Passion Flower (extract)
  1 bowl smoked Passion Flower (leaves)

Just recently I have been experimenting with alternative substances other than what you will usually find in the city. This is some what due to the fact that I have to abstain from the usuals for the duration of my probation >:( One of these is Passionflower, a mild sedative (hallucinogen?). I have brewed it into a tea, and smoked the stems and leaves, and both simultaneously with minimal effects, but the best experience I've had was one of a more involved procedure.

I took about 1/2 oz. of my passionflower material and started to brew it in close to 1 1/2 pints of water. I allowed the water to evaporate, causing the brew to concentrate. When the water level was reduced to about 1 cup, I poured it into a smaller pot, straining out the plant mass, and allowed it to boil down some more. I repeated this procedure twice, pouring more liquid into the smaller pot as its contents reduced, making sure I would get the most out of the plant. Once the brown liquid was reduced to an amount small enough, I poured it into a spoon (1 tablespoon), and held it over the stove. When all the water was evaporated, I was left with a sticky, brown, fragrent mass of goo. I pulled it off and placed it on some aluminum foil. The whole thing took about 2 1/2 hours. Anxious to see if my little creation was of any worth, I went to go smoke it.

I took about half of the glob and put it in my pipe. Smoking it was pleasant, but if I didn't hold the pipe at an angle, the hole would get clogged. (Pain). Effects were starting to occur 3/4 the way through, and by the time I was finished, I knew it was worth the trouble. Sedation and euphoria were prominent, as well as very slight visual distortions. Having never been this altered on the passionflower, I decided to smoke a pipe of the regular leaf and vine. Much more effective than usual. I was very pleased to know that this was a sufficient source of mind alteration.

Passionflower is also a wonderful preparer for my adventures with lady salvia. It puts a nice 'boost' into the experience. I will continue to use the passionflower for its great contributions towards relaxation, creativity, and elation.

Exp Year: 2005ExpID: 47312
Published: Jan 8, 2010Views: 20,958
Passion Flower (121) : General (1), Preparation / Recipes (30), Alone (16)