Spiral Erowid Zip Hoodie
This black mid-weight zip hoodie (80/20) has front pockets,
an Erowid logo on front chest, and a spiral design on back.
Donate and receive yours!
My First Experience in Psychedelia
H.B. Woodrose & Cannabis
Citation:   B (anonymous). "My First Experience in Psychedelia: An Experience with H.B. Woodrose & Cannabis (exp54552)". Erowid.org. Jan 4, 2009. erowid.org/exp/54552

11 seeds oral H.B. Woodrose (ground / crushed)
  0.5 joints/cigs smoked Cannabis (plant material)
Intrigued by the world of psychedelia, Iíve always found myself curious of the places I could go, and things I could experience while still remaining in one place. New to the world of psychedelics, I have often considered the power and possibility of the substances. Before taking the H.B. Woodrose seeds, I had only experimented with marijuana as well as few opiates, never a psychedelic. I'm not sure whether HB Woodrose was the proper choice to enter this new world, but that is behind me now, I just want to record the experience I had. On the journey was myself and my long time friend (D) who I have enjoyed many life experiences as well as a few related to drugs.

Time was something difficult for me to understand during this experience, but I will mark the times that I remember and what I was feeling at that moment to the best of my memory.

circa 10:30 pm: Myself and D, as well as a few other friends who did not take part in the HB Woodrose are seated around a fire in my backyard. D and I each take one parachute of Woodrose seeds on a nearly empty stomach and down them with water. The 'parachute' included 11 seeds each, crushed and wrapped in tissue-like paper, resembling a popper that you throw at the ground and explodes. After each taking a parachute of seeds, we enjoyed a joint of marijuana. According to a friend, it 'speeds up' the coming up. Both of us are excited for the experience that awaits, but I began to wonder if D was fully aware of what can happen during a trip. Looking back, I probably should have discussed it with him more, before we began.

11:15: Everyone at the fire is high, D and I have finished our joint, the other guys are still smoking. One of my friends brought his laptop computer and watching itunes' visualizer is one of my favorite things to do high. It's difficult to say exactly when I began 'tripping', but I would say close to midnight there was definitely a distinctive difference between this high, and any previous experience with pot.

12:30: As luck would have it, the sky began to rain. I found it very difficult to understand what was happening at first, but my friends were seeming anxious and finally, I felt drops on my arm. I think it was hard for D to really enjoy his trip while the others were there, he didn't seem completely comfortable, so it's probably better that they left. We got the chairs on the deck and finished cleaning up, but did not make our way inside. Instead, we ended up dancing around in the backyard for what seemed like hours. Beyond 'dancing', D found himself witnessing flashback memories from his past - stating that he was seeing everything he'd ever done, in his memory. He went from kneeling and bowing to spinning around and pacing in my backyard.

While this was happening, I was laying on my back watching the sky change colors. The most distinct and vivid memory I have from this stage of the trip was the lightning. As I lay on my back I remember watching a row of trees' shadows contrast the sky and then flashes of lightning. I was fixed on this thought and kept seeing it while we were outside, even as I looked in other directions. I'm quite sure that the marijuana was still in effect, because I found myself hungry and thirsty, and had the desire to make my way inside to get a snack and drink.

2:00: I am quite sure that by this time, we were inside, in my living room. The television was on and I doubt either of us were at all high any longer. D said that he was not feeling too well, and at this point, I was feeling great, so I hoped it would pass. This stage of the night is where I have the greatest recollection, most likely because my mindset changed from enjoying the experience to helping my friend out of his. It also could be asserted that because of my size compared to D's (280 to 150), the seeds may be wearing off sooner for me. I think the seeds might have made his stomach upset, but as I said before, I don't think he was completely aware of the extent of a trip, and wasn't ready.

The television was on TV Land, 'All in the family' reruns, I found the sitcom laughter annoying and I'm pretty sure it wasn't making D's experience any better. I turned off the television and made a few calls to some friends who had experience with psychedelics. I was told to make him comfortable, not do anything out of the ordinary, and help to let him know that it would end. D was sure he wouldn't survive, he kept telling me he didn't want to die, and nausea and vomiting reinforced these ideas. Strangely, D didn't vomit any solid substance although he had a bit to eat, just some water and black residue, which I believe were the seeds. I got the trusty iPod, put on Air, and told D that he'd make it through this. We both had a couch to lay on, and we tried to just relax and listen to the music, but found it difficult to find comfort - or fall asleep.

4:00: As I move from the couch to the floor, I remember neon lights and designs reminiscent of those in bars and The Big Lebowski. D was coming in and out of sleep, but we were still holding 'conversation' through sounds rather than words, at least that's how I remember it. I'm starting to feel an upset stomach and disorientation, but I'm not convinced whether it is my body or my mind. By 4:30 I'm pretty sure we were both asleep, D was convinced that we were in trouble.

7:30 am: My dad gets home from work and my mom is getting ready for work, while D and I are sleeping on the living room floor. I awake to my mom talking to me about her job, something I find annoying when I'm straight seems impossible to handle like this. I cover my head with blanket and D whispers 'I think we're in big trouble' and falls back asleep.

10:30 am: I wake to my cellphone alarm feeling really well. I get up to take a shower and tell D that I have to work at 11:30. After the shower, D gets up and head's home, I go to work. The rest of the day, I felt slow and slightly disoriented, but not sick or hungover.

The experience with H.B. Woodrose was for me, a good one. Although it was probably not the best choice psychedelic to start on, I learned a lot about the 'trip' as well as helping a friend on a bad ride. There were intense changes in my mood and thoughts, I am very sure that Woodrose and the marijuana influenced these changes. Perceptions that I would take in sober were amplified in my mind under the influence of these substances. The whole experience lasted nearly 12 hours, most of it enjoyable. I look forward to another experience that will be even better than this.

-B (7/13/2006)

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 54552
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: Not Given
Published: Jan 4, 2009Views: 19,915
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
H.B. Woodrose (26) : General (1), Combinations (3), First Times (2), Small Group (2-9) (17)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults