Erowid Canvas Tote/Shopping Bag
This reusable "Ecobag" is made of 100% recycled mid-weight
(10 oz) cotton canvas, printed with the Erowid logo.
Donate now and receive yours!
Acetylcholine Modifying Drugs
Donepezil & Galantamine
by Grumble Bear
Citation:   Grumble Bear. "Acetylcholine Modifying Drugs: An Experience with Donepezil & Galantamine (exp54759)". Erowid.org. Jul 12, 2016. erowid.org/exp/54759

DMAE
  5 mg oral Donepezil (daily)
  8 mg oral Galantamine (daily)

I'm in my early 50s. Aricept improves my memory and cognition a lot, except if I forget to take DMAE with it. Had a headache for the first day or two, that subsided. Started with 1/2 pill of 5mg. The prescription calls for 2 a day, I stopped that quickly, and just take one pill in the morning.

Galantamine has more cognitive effect, and seemed to recover older memories of childhood, initially ones that weren't too pleasant, but that got handled in a couple of days. As the sample packaging provided, I started at 8mg, and increased to 16mg/day after 3 weeks.

I occasionally take Aricept on top of galantamine, it seems to have a slightly different effect. My theory is that Aricept favors muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, and Galantamine favors nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, in some way. There's the phenomenon of 'drug dependent memory', and my childhood was certainly nicotine saturated from two heavy smokers in a small house. As a result, taking a nicotinic acetylcholine favoring drug would reproduce the environment allowing those memories to come forth.

I'm VERY sensitive to antihistamines, I believe that I and a small fraction of the population produce marginal amounts of acetylcholine. Most antihistamine drugs are anti-acetylcholine as well, along with the old tricyclic antidepressants. It's a known effect, even if it's knowledge substantially suppressed. There may even be a reverse-kindling effect, that use of anti-acetylcholine drugs could cause Alzheimer's.

[Reported Dose: 'Ari. 5mg, Raz. 8-16mg, solanine from small green potato w/o skin']

Exp Year: 2005ExpID: 54759
Published: Jul 12, 2016Views: 4,628
Galantamine (523), Donepezil (751) : Not Applicable (38), Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), Retrospective / Summary (11), Combinations (3)