Erowid - Honest Global Drug Information
We're an educational non-profit working to provide a balanced, honest look at
psychoactive drugs and drug use--to reduce harms, improve benefits, & support
reasonable policies. This work is made possible by $10, $50, & $100 donations.
Completely Unexpected Other Dimension
Cannabis, DXM & Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
Citation:   Dyan Firefly. "Completely Unexpected Other Dimension: An Experience with Cannabis, DXM & Bupropion (Wellbutrin) (exp55513)". Jan 17, 2008.

T+ 0:00
300 mg oral Pharms - Bupropion (daily)
  T+ 0:00 215 mg oral DXM (liquid)
  T+ 16:00 2 hits smoked Cannabis (plant material)
Iím not terribly experienced with drugs, I started smoking cannabis almost two months ago. The first few highs seemed a lot like the highs people normally have, feeling amused, good about things, having deep thoughts. The high just before this one was a little different in that it started out with me feeling like I was way too high. I took 2 or 3 hits from a glass pipe and was totally flying. I wasnít sure if I was going to be able to handle it at first--I remember feeling like I was zooming away from everybody, like everybody else was fading out. I couldnít hear them very well and I was just totally focused inward. That eventually turned into a more ďnormalĒ high although still very inwardly focused. Oddly, I didnít get back up to that extreme high even when a few hours later I took 3 hits from a vaporizer and then finished off a Ďlungí which was probably about 2 or 3 hits. That said, this weekend was extremely intense.

I am prescribed 300mg of Wellbutrin every day, taken in the morning, as well as 20mg of Prozac every other day (also in the morning). I also take Klonopin occasionally for anxiety and had taken 1mg Thursday night. I donít know if it had anything to do with my experience.

Friday night, I decided to try DXM for the first time. I wasnít too concerned about interactions with my prescription med's because Wellbutrin is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and not a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. I was a little cautious about the Prozac since it is a SSRI and that combined with DXM can cause serotonin syndrome--however, I figured that with such a low dose of Prozac and the relatively low dose of DXM I was planning to take, I would be fine. At about 9:30 I took about 180mg of Vicks 44 (dex-only) cough syrup before I thought I would vomit if I took any more (nasty, nasty shit), so I took a few Robotussin gel caplets (also dex-only) I had leftover from when I had a cold, to get me up to around 215mg.

It was a nice trip, a little more than I thought it would be based on the amount I took and body weight, but I attributed that to Wellbutrinís habit of multiplying the effects of other drugs. It felt a lot like my previous cannabis experiences coordination-wise in terms of feeling off-balance and like I was being pushed around by water. But it was less inwardly focused, more in touch with the rest of the world instead of stuck inside myself. I had some nice closed-eye visuals which I was not expecting at all at that dose, a lot of shapes and random images. Also, a really interesting feeling of being disconnected from the other parts of my body. My hands felt like they were floating apart from my body and doing things on their own. I was peaking at about 11:00pm. I went to sleep at 1:00 or so and woke up around 10:00 Saturday morning still feeling wonky. A lot less coordinated, less in control of my body. I wasnít going to let that get in the way of hempfest though.

I got together with friends and we went to Seattle and wandered around hempfest for a while before deciding to smoke on the rocks by the water. Getting down by the water was hard enough with the leftover effects of the DXM, so I donít know how I planned to get back up after getting stoned. In any case, down by the water, I took two hits from a glass pipe again and was expecting a nice high or at the MOST, a little bit of the ďtoo highĒ from last time that would fade into a normal high. Incredibly, I was fucking BLITZED after about two minutes. I started out feeling like I was going to throw up, just really feeling sick and scared, not wanting what was happening to happen. Shortly thereafter, I was in an entirely different dimension. I had no control whatsoever. I was not there. I free-fell into another dimension.

Apparently, my friend B. noticed me slumping. He started shaking me and talking to me. I couldn't speak. I couldn't control my body. I was a statue. I could hear him getting really scared and telling the others that I wasn't okay and that they needed to come help him in case I fell over. I heard all of this somewhere far, far away. It was like having the TV on in the background when you're falling asleep. Kind of there, but not. He shook me out of it enough for a second to tell me that I couldn't pass out and that he needed to get me up onto the grass again.

There was no way that was going to happen. I couldn't move. I couldn't see. I somehow managed to say 'I can't' and 'I can't see' and he told me that I needed to open my eyes. I opened them, I swear, I saw the water and the rocks but it was all pixelated pink and blue dots. I looked down into a hole in the rocks and pretty much nothing sounded better than climbing into that hole and sleeping. I was drifting away and thinking that I hoped he wouldnít take me to the hospital because I knew I would come off of it. I was so uneasy and I just wanted to be somewhere I could sleep so I could wake up in reality again. I really didn't want this to be happening at all, much less in a public place. I was way too high and way too out of control of myself.

I mentally left again and couldn't do anything. They continued to surround me and talk to me, B. telling me that I was not going to pass out and that I needed to stay there with him and concentrate. I came down for a second, barely. I stepped back into quasi-reality. I remember my entire body being on fire like when your leg falls asleep and starts to wake up again. My entire body was doing that. I felt like I had energy shooting out of my fingertips. I told B. what I was feeling and he said something again about getting me up to the grass. I was with it enough to get that far, maybe, so B. and M. grabbed my hands and helped me up over the rocks.

At that point, B. wouldn't let me sit down again because he said I needed to keep walking in order to not pass out. So I just walked and walked and drank water and walked. Walking was so hypnotizing. At some point, I completely forgot who I was with and then I remembered but couldn't remember what B. looked like. I got scared for a second of being lost and not knowing who anybody was but then I remembered what he looked like and found him in front of me. It seems like they were kind of flanking me to make sure I didn't wander off. I vaguely remember someone asking me how I was doing and telling them that Iíd forgotten who I was for a second to which they responded ďHuh, havenít had that one before.Ē

We walked around the same area so many times, I remember going past the same spot a bunch of times and I know I can't have been hallucinating all of that but it seemed to be going so slowly yet overlapping and happening all at the same time. This whole time, I was zoning in and out. Walking was so hypnotizing. Watching everybody's feet moving, staring at the backs of people's heads. Sometimes I had no idea what was going on. So much of it was completely instinctual. Just doing things because my body knew what to do. I was having conversations in my head, thinking about all kinds of stuff, wishing that I could actually talk but not being able to because I couldn't come far enough out of my mind. I was living an entirely different life in my head. Stuff was happening in there that was real to me and then I would snap out of it for a second and realize none of it was true. Every once in a while, somebody would say something to me and I would respond but my responses weren't thought about. They were just my learned responses to whatever anybody said. They came out on their own without any prompting from me. After every single exchange I couldn't tell if it had actually happened or if it was one of the many scenes playing out in my mind. I wondered if I looked like a zombie mechanically walking around.

I don't remember the sequence of events that well. I remember some of the others deciding to smoke again (they weren't anywhere near as affected) so I sat on the hill next to R. (who was sober). Lost it again. I thought I was talking to him--I might have been, I don't know. Then I really thought he asked me a question so I answered and then (in reality) he had no idea what I was talking about. So I was like 'Fuck, am I hallucinating?' I just had all of this stuff happening in my head that I thought was happening for real but then I'd slip back into reality and realize it wasn't real, then repeat. I was really confused as to why it was taking so long to come down. I had no idea how much time had passed but I felt like I should be coming down somehow.

More walking. More hypnotizing feet and heads and brief flashes of confusion about who I was and where I was. At some point, B. decided that I should eat and absorb chemicals or something so we walked back and forth a lot trying to decide what to get. He was also really, really 'way too' high but still able to function on some level. Eventually we ended up with Indian food. We sat down on the grass to eat and it was so hard to concentrate. I would put some food in my mouth and some water, because my mouth was not producing saliva, and chew for a little bit but I think I must have spaced out majorly in between every single bite because pretty soon B.'s food was all gone and I had only taken a few bites. He kept telling me that I needed to eat and I was really trying but I couldn't stay in reality--stuff was still happening in my head.

We wandered off again finally, in search of the others. We walked back and forth a bunch of times and finally found them. This might have been when they smoked again, or they may have smoked a third time, I don't know. The next memory is of standing in front of the stage watching a band and feeling like I was being consumed by the music. It was totally hypnotizing as well. I thought I was being consumed. Sometimes I wanted to make sure that the others were still there and I would see B. in my peripheral vision but he was made of multicolor squiggly lines unless I looked at him straight on.

More walking. I don't even know what all happened. I was so, so gone. We saw S. sometime, maybe before the music, and B. told her that I was really messed up. I remember her telling me that she called that state a weed coma and it was why she couldnít smoke anymore. Me and B. sat down next to a tree while the others smoked (again, I don't know if they smoked a bunch of times or if it's all just fragmented in my mind and a lot of these things go together in reality). This was right after we were walking again and I felt this very distinct flip of a switch and came down a notch. It was like 'Hell-o! Back to reality!' Not reality, but 'normal' high. This has to have been several hours later. Maybe. I told B. that I thought I was coming down a little and he was like 'That's what we're talking about, good.'

We sat by a tree and for once I could actually talk a little bit. I started talking and I was like 'Look at me, I can talk!' And received congratulations. Me and B. played a game and talked about stuff. The others joined us at some point and the game continued. I think me and B. talked about where we were in terms of levels, etc. Right before we'd gotten food (I think) he came back into reality a little bit--he said that he had been about 3 feet behind his head previously (not behind his head, but three feet into his head) and was surfacing a little. I think I had a temporary flash of consciousness at that point, which is why it came up, but ended up going under again. He was a step or two ahead of me in the coming down process.

Anyway, we talked about being way too high and tried to figure out why it fucked us up so badly when the others were fine, aside from them being people who smoke all the time instead of casually/once a week or so. I thought about the DXM the night before and thought that might have something to do with it, but he hadnít done any and was pretty messed up as well.

I don't know if anything else really happened until we left. We walked for so long. Our car was really far away but we weren't even done--we were still going to a show that was 10 blocks past the car or something. So we walked to the venue. Apparently it took an hour and a half, but it seemed like 10 minutes. I came down some more on the walk and I was really okay when we got there. Still a little dumb, but feeling pretty normal. We watched the band and I felt pretty sober, just with a nice happy mood and feeling of well-being. We left a few hours later after B. was sufficiently sober (something like 9 hours after last smoking).

I talked to one of my friends about my experience and he suggested that Wellbutrin probably had something to do with it (aside from possible leftover effects of the DXM), since it has the tendency to multiply the effects of other drugs. Previously, I'd only smoked at night. I take the Wellbutrin in the morning. On this occasion, I smoked in the early afternoon, so I had nowhere near as much time for the Wellbutrin to wear off before introducing more drugs.

Overall, I think if I was only smoking pot for the fun/recreation of it, this would have probably qualified as a bad trip. A lot of this is about experimentation and experiences in general, though, and HOLY FUCK was that an experience. It was scary at points and really uncomfortable but it was so interesting and weird and just... wow. I hadnít expected anything like that from cannabis. I was also amazed at the coming down process, since it was the first time I ever came down while awake (previously I slept off a lot of it). I started out at the tip tip top right on the verge of passing out and came down to sober and it was a lot less gradual than I would have thought. It was so much more a step pattern. Click, click, click, click. I could feel myself coming down a notch each time I got to a lower level. Like, it was a totally noticeable difference instead of a smooth sloping ride.

Iím still going to experiment with cannabis and I will probably try DXM again, but definitely not too close together unless Iím going for a similar experience. Iím also going to make sure to only do anything after Iíve had plenty of time to come down off of the Wellbutrin because I really do think that had something to do with how intense my trip was.

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 55513
Gender: Female 
Age at time of experience: Not Given
Published: Jan 17, 2008Views: 47,985
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Pharms - Bupropion (87), DXM (22), Cannabis (1) : Festival / Lg. Crowd (24), Combinations (3), Multi-Day Experience (13), Hangover / Days After (46), Guides / Sitters (39), Difficult Experiences (5)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
No AI Training use allowed without written permission.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults