Strong Energizing Effect
Fluoxetine (Prozac) & Alprazolam (Xanax)
by Socraticus
Citation:   Socraticus. "Strong Energizing Effect: An Experience with Fluoxetine (Prozac) & Alprazolam (Xanax) (exp55581)". Erowid.org. Mar 25, 2008. erowid.org/exp/55581

20 mg oral Pharms - Fluoxetine (daily)
  3.0 mg oral Pharms - Alprazolam (daily)

Let me start by saying that I have used many types of benzos for about six years - ever since I was diagnosed with cyclic vomiting. The benzos are great for reducing anxiety, but I have a tendency to find an empty bottle about a week or two before the refill date> :-(

Recently, I took way too many of my xanax too soon and decided to get some in Mexico, where it is known as 'Tafil.' I decided to buy some prozac as well, as I have been diagnosed with clinical depression, which I had not treated with either drug therapy or counseling. I have been using prozac for about six weeks now, and several things have occured.

I attribute the following beneficial effects to the use of prozac, 20 mg, once daily in the morning:

1. having more energy

2. having more motivation to utilise the energy

3. lessened anxiety

Now, as I said, I also use xanax, 1mg t.i.d., and I am considering tapering off this benzodiazepine. The prozac, as the Wikipedia entry suggests, has a 'strong energizing effect.' I am grateful for this drug. I know it increases suicidality in some, but I have never had those types of thoughts, and the drug DEFINITELY works for me. I have been diagnosed with both generalized anxiety and depression, and the prozac/xanax combo seems to be 'doing the trick.' I hope to one day go through life without these meds, but for now, they help me get by without any adverse effects.

NOTE: At first, the prozac induced akathisia (a.k.a. 'inner restlesssness') which I offset by doubling the xanax. This lasted for about two weeks, after which I went back to 3 mgs a day of xanax rather than 6.

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 55581
Published: Mar 25, 2008Views: 39,987
Pharms - Fluoxetine (80), Pharms - Alprazolam (98) : Health Benefits (32), Multi-Day Experience (13), Combinations (3), Not Applicable (38)