Modern humans must learn how to relate to psychoactives
responsibly, treating them with respect and awareness,
working to minimize harms and maximize benefits, and
integrating use into a healthy, enjoyable, and productive life.
A Calm Evening
Syrian Rue
by Garrix
Citation:   Garrix. "A Calm Evening: An Experience with Syrian Rue (exp55640)". Erowid.org. Mar 6, 2009. erowid.org/exp/55640

1 Tbsp oral Syrian Rue (seeds)

I have a stomach that does not do well with psychedelics (mushrooms, acid, cacti), so I decided to try an MAOI, in the event that in the future it will allow me to ingest these at lower doses with a greater potency.

I had abstained from tyramine-containing foods for over 24 hours (and followed up with that regimen as well). The night came of my planned experiment, and I was feeling rather irritated with myself for not having worked all day.

+0:00 I measure out a tablespoon of seeds, wash them, and begin eating, crushing them in my mouth very well before swallowing.

+0:15 My mouth is pretty numb.

+0:20 I read a little Lewis Carroll. Something he writes is so clever, that I chuckle. All of a sudden, I feel much better emotionally, and my funk is gone. I take a shower and sing.

+1:00 I haven't felt much of anything up to now (but I've been distracted, getting ready for a party. All of a sudden, entering a room with lights, I notice crystal-like trails when I move my head. I noticed this the one time I drank ayahuasca tea, which I also prepared with rue.

+1:45 I experience some nausea. I'm also feeling a bit distractible, and do rather poorly at boggle, a game at which I generally excel.

+2:30 I'm walking around, and not feeling so well. I almost run to a bathroom to puke, but decide against it.

+3:00 The badness has subsided, and now I'm just seeing the crystal trails every once in while. I notice nothing exceptional with my eyes closed. It's not unpleasant, just 'there.'

+5:00 I notice that the trails are pretty much gone.

All in all, a good experiment. In the future when I take psychedelics, I will do so at a lower dose, having taken an MAOI 2 or 3 hours prior. I think I will blend the rue in the future. The nausea and the 'rue burps' were the most negative aspects of it, however, the whole experience was pretty calm. I don't know if the mood shift was purely due to Carroll (he is awesome), or if it had something to do with the antidepressant effect of the rue.

Good luck, and be safe!

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 55640
Published: Mar 6, 2009Views: 14,852
Syrian Rue (45) : Alone (16), First Times (2)