Citation: Hb. "Induced Seizure: An Experience with Tramadol (Ultram) (exp58810)". Erowid.org. Jun 19, 2007. erowid.org/exp/58810
While on break from medical school, I got an rx for ultram ER. The script was for lots of the little white 100 mg extended release pills. I have taken lots of stuff before (um for the sake of medical knowledge) and had no problems. I have chewed percocets, darvocets, demorol (pill form obviously), and vicodin and never had any problems. Ultram however, was different.
I chewed 300 mg of extended release ultram because I was in a lot of pain (it was only 3 tiny pills). At first it was comfortably numb. After about 45 minutes, I started to feel a typical narcotic analgesic numbness... that was way too intense. I only weigh 100 lbs so 300 mg was apparently an overdose.
I went back to my computer and tried to focus but things were blurring and I just felt far away from the world. I can't say it was a bad feeling though.
After 60 minutes, I am told I had a grand mal seizure. I woke up on the couch with my husband freaking out and paramedics putting an IV line in. I could taste blood from apparently biting my tongue and I was in a state of confusion that is still scary to remember. My husband was crying, he saw the tonic clonic part where my body was stiff and I wasn't breathing and he thought I was dead. I remember bits and pieces after the seizure, and I was taken to the ER and I can only remember bits and pieces. I have never had a seizure before this! Needless to say, the hospital did a tox screen. I had said nothing about taking the ultram because I know ultram cannot be detected on tox screens... it doesn't have the morphine or codeine like peaks... so that is why I didn't confess to doing such a stupid thing.
I am still freaked out by it because I am in medical school and if the ER docs had discovered I had od'ed on ultram, typical overdose protocol is to get a psych consult. I would have had to talk to a psychiatrist or gone to counseling or worse... rehab! Even though I was taking it because I was in a great deal of pain, I shouldn't have chewed them and I shouldn't have taken 200mg.
I should have known better- I mean I knew the risks, the pharmacology, contraindications, mechanism of action, hell I can even draw the chemical structure! This was one of the stupidest things I have ever done.
COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid and you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving permission first.
Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.