"When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war. So I say to you, walk with the wind, brothers and sisters, and let the spirit of peace and the power of everlasting love be your guide."
-- John Lewis (1940-2020)
Worst Pain of My Life
Codeine (with Acetaminophen)
by Mermaid
Citation:   Mermaid. "Worst Pain of My Life: An Experience with Codeine (with Acetaminophen) (exp65422)". Erowid.org. Apr 20, 2016. erowid.org/exp/65422

3 tablets oral Codeine
      Acetaminophen

I will begin by saying that no matter how many experiences you have read on certain drugs, when trying them the first time, do not expect the same exact reaction that 'everybody' else had.

One night I really wanted to get high and my boyfriend and I were completely out of weed. So I dug around the medicine cabinet at my house and discovered that I still had 6 tylenol (2 or 3) with codeine pills left from a time I had almost broken my neck and received them at the hospital. I never had used these pills before because I handle pain very well. I then realized that the pills were expired by about a year. I was disappointed, however decided, hey, maybe they still might do something. So I got on the internet and did some research into it. The info I found said that there had been no history of codeine going toxic when expired, and that it just becomes ineffective.

I figured, what the hell, I'll just try some with my boyfriend.

I took the pills to his house and we both took 3 of these on relatively empty stomachs and water. My boyfriend has a problem with abusing Rx painkillers so he was pretty sure it was safe to take 3 each especially since they probably wouldn't do anything anyway.

About 30 minutes into it, I began to feel a slight buzz, as did my boyfriend. We were both shocked that we felt anything at all.

At this point, all hell broke loose.

As soon as the slight buzz began, it left, and the pain came.
As soon as the slight buzz began, it left, and the pain came.
It started as an uncomfortable pain in my upper abdomen/ribcage area. A feeling similar to bad gas pains. This feeling slowly progressed to become not just uncomfortable, but unbearable. I felt like someone had cut open my chest cavity and begun pulling the sides of my ribcage apart! It reminded me slightly of one of the alien movies where an alien bursts out of the characters chest. On top of this I was scared shitless and began to become nauseous. I began to get a serious migraine and made my boyfriend, who at this point was terrified for my life, turn off the lights. I writhed all over the bed, crying and moaning and yelling. I paced, and crouched in the corner, trying to find a comfortable position. Nothing lessened my pain, and if my boyfriend touched me, it only hurt worse. I threw up a few times until there was nothing left. It hurt so bad I induced vomiting several times which did not help at all. Also my heart was racing and I was extremely overheated.

While all this was happening I had completely lost track of time. At one point I realized it was 12 at night, at which point I realized we had taken the pills around 8pm, and that I would have to be home ASAP. I couldn't believe that after 4 hours I was still in this much pain and it was not any better. But I had no choice to go to the hospital, not only would my parents be furious, my boyfriend's parents would hate me forever for letting him take that shit. I decided to attempt to drive home. It is only a 5 min drive, but it was horrible.

When I arrived home in horrible pain I played it off like I was horribly sick and that I just needed sleep and ran to my bedroom. I tried to get comfortable and lay in bed, attempting sleep. I was still writhing! This pain was coming down, but EXTREMELY slowly. I cried for a while in bed until I could relax somewhat enough to try to sleep. I read the clock before I nodded off and it said 5am. I slept the whole rest of the night (well technically morning) through until I awoke at 3pm!

After awaking, I had a slight headache and a serious feeling of muscle weakness and pain, like I had physically exerted myself to the max! Well, I pretty much had.

I never went to the doctors about it. I still do not believe it was because of the expiration date due to the research I had done. Although there is no way to know exactly what happened inside my body that night, I believe that I have some sort of bad reaction to Codeine, considering I had never taken any of it before. Maybe I'm allergic or something.

All I know is that if you are trying a new drug, don't rely on everything you hear to be exactly what will happen to you personally.

All in all it was by far the worst fucking pain of my LIFE, and I now refuse to do Rx painkillers again.

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 65422
Published: Apr 20, 2016Views: 4,376
Codeine (14) : Health Problems (27), Hangover / Days After (46), Difficult Experiences (5), Small Group (2-9) (17)