Ltd Ed 'Solve et Elucido' Art Giclee
This fantastic reverberating giclee print is a gift for $500 donations supporting Erowid's mission. 12" x 12", stretched on canvas, the image wraps around the sides of the 1" thick piece. It's signed by artist Vibrata, and Erowid founders Earth & Fire.
Vertical Worldpool
Salvia divinorum (20x extract)
by Too Dimensional
Citation:   Too Dimensional. "Vertical Worldpool: An Experience with Salvia divinorum (20x extract) (exp71045)". Erowid.org. Aug 27, 2018. erowid.org/exp/71045

0.5 bowls smoked Salvia divinorum (extract)

This night was my second experience with Salvia Divinorum extract. My first experience was also with 20x extract, and produced a numbing sensation in the center of my chest that expanded outward throughout every inch of my body. After about a minute or two this was followed with intense uninhibited laughter. I had no visual experience. It was pleasant, so a few weeks later, I decided to try it again. Little did I know that my next ride would be one of the most intense experiences Iíve ever had.

I scheduled an appointment with my best friend (weíll call him Jack), and he gladly accepted my request to be my sitter. I chose his room as the setting, because it was a place I had grown up in and was very familiar and comfortable with. After clearing my mind with a bit of meditation, I chose to play some mood music, so I turned on a random Bob Marley song on my friendís computer. As I sat in a reclining leather desk chair, I packed about a half a bowl, or one pinch of the 20x salvia. I did a little research so I knew just how to take it. As I burned the bowl, I kept the flame on the salvia the whole time. After I had burned it in itís entirety, my sitter took the pipe and lighter from me. I held the hit in and counted slowly to thirty, and blew it out. It tasted of spice, a bit of mint, and something unpleasant that reminded me of burnt fish food. Confusion would soon set in.

I suddenly felt disoriented and a bit confused. For some reason the music playing in the background began to seem foreign to me. I wondered where this noise was coming from, even though I had just turned it on myself. I turned in my desk chair toward the computer behind me, and realized that the music was coming from the computer and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. As I turned back around, I saw my best friend of fourteen years sitting on his bed. Although he and I are very close, I could not seem to determine his name or identity. I knew he looked very familiar, but I could not figure out who he was. This became increasingly perplexing to me because I had no recollection of ever smoking anything.

The area around my friendís face had become blurry and colors seemed to meld together. The center of my vision was still clear, just like tunnel vision. This familiar person was staring at me as if he was witnessing something astonishing, but I couldnít figure out what was happening. I attempted to ask Jack what was going on, but the only thing I could mutter was ďWhaÖ whaÖ whaÖĒ He repeatedly replied, ďItís okay, itís okay.Ē I remember thinking throughout the rest of the trip, ďWhatís okay?Ē and attempted to ask him but repeatedly failed. I was honestly shocked and a bit terrified.

My body seemed to be taken over by a weird gravitational pull that was directed by the smooth bass lines of the reggae music in the background. My reality seemed to turn counterclockwise in front of my eyes to the beat of the music. Everything looked like two-dimensional flat tiles, rotating their way into a place where they just seemed to fit perfectly. My body and everything around me began to merge into one color coordinated entity. Every involuntary move made a sensation throughout the outer edges of my arms, legs, and neck as if I was being unzipped from the matter I was moving away from. As my skin zippered away from my surroundings; I felt no pain but did feel as though the zippering sensation was somehow lubricated with ice water. This feeling was odd but enjoyable.

I was extremely confused as to what the hell was happening to me.
I was extremely confused as to what the hell was happening to me.
Iím not sure if I felt as though I couldnít breathe, or I was just so dumbfounded that I forgot to breathe. As my reality turned counterclockwise, and the 2D tiles set into place I slowly floated with the beat of the music from the matter that used to be my chair to the matter that used to be the carpeted floor. Everything was literally fused together as one, and as my friend is telling me ďItís okayĒ I feel that maybe Iím dying and that I should just stop being frightened and accept it. Once I accepted my fate I was no longer frightened, and everything just seemed like it was going to be all right. As I drift from the chair I even see my own legs and arms meld into the matter around me, and they too became flat tiles in this vast world of colorful masonry. I remember things became dominantly green with hints of red, orange, and maybe even some colors Iíve never seen before.

I canít seem to remember anything beyond this, until I came to my senses a bit, and started to recognize my friendís room once again. I still wasnít quite sure where I was, so I got up and tried to leave, but quickly submitted to my sitter who told me to sit down. I was soaked in a cold sweat. Iím not sure what was funny, but I suddenly felt an extreme sense of joy and happiness and I began to laugh hysterically for about two minutes. I felt extremely grateful to be alive, and also had the distinct feeling that I had died and been reborn. For about four hours I felt a mind and body high similar to the effects of smoked marijuana. I was a bit disoriented for this time but the after effects were very pleasant.

I told my sitter everything I saw and felt to the best of my ability. He told me that I didnít slowly float from my chair to the floor. I simply fell over. He also told me that he repeatedly told me during my look of confusion that I had just smoked salvia. I didnít remember him saying anything of the sort. He also told me that it only lasted about two minutes. I found this extremely amusing and began to laugh hysterically again for about another 30 seconds.

Overall, I couldnít say this was a good or a bad experience. It was beautiful but terrifying. Afterwards it seemed as though I had a glimpse into the world of disillusionment, and that the ďrealityĒ that I had lived every day was nothing but a big sham. I felt like my eyes opened for the first time.

Definitely best to have a sitter, lay on a bed, be comfortable, surround myself with silence, and the lighting should be very dimly lit. I donít regret experimenting with this substance, but I must say, it was the most intense moment of my life, period. Always practice great care and respect when dealing with this powerful sage.

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 71045
Published: Aug 27, 2018Views: 976
Salvia divinorum (44) : First Times (2), Small Group (2-9) (17)