Modern humans must learn how to relate to psychoactives
responsibly, treating them with respect and awareness,
working to minimize harms and maximize benefits, and
integrating use into a healthy, enjoyable, and productive life.
The Magic is Gone
MDMA (Ecstasy)
by Mycelium
Citation:   Mycelium. "The Magic is Gone: An Experience with MDMA (Ecstasy) (exp71541)". Erowid.org. Aug 26, 2008. erowid.org/exp/71541

3.5 tablets oral MDMA (pill / tablet)

I've used Ecstacy several hundred times. This was over the course of 3 years or so. I feel that I'm very lucky to have continued to have good ecstacy trips for so long. Until last night, I had not used ecstacy in more than 3 years. I had originally lost interest in the substance because it seemed no longer to work. I would become VERY intoxicated, stimulated and experienced all of the perceptual shifts that MDMA brings, but no longer felt the 'joy.' I tried ramping up my dosage, but to no positive effect.

Last night, after a 3-year hiatus, I took 225-300 mg (hard to tell with street pills, I took 3.5 pills over 3 hours). I still did not have the 'joy.' All the old 'e-tricks' seemed to work and I was certainly nowhere near reality. Today I am feeling more positive than I remember in previous experiences. Usually, however, I don't get depressed until day 3 following the experience.

I have heard much about the 'loss of magic' experience, but have never read anything about this effect spanning years of nonuse. I must say, I'm extremely disappointed, but I also feel that I must have learned what I needed from the drug.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 71541
Published: Aug 26, 2008Views: 6,296
MDMA (3) : Loss of Magic (34), Addiction & Habituation (10), Unknown Context (20)