Support accurate info and harm reduction.
Donate $50+ and get a Know Your DrugsData tee
Tastes Like Incense
Betel Nut
by J-Tiz
Citation:   J-Tiz. "Tastes Like Incense: An Experience with Betel Nut (exp71924)". Erowid.org. Sep 18, 2018. erowid.org/exp/71924

1 nuts oral Betel Nut

I am an 18 year old experienced drug user (including marijuana, shrooms, lsd, morning glories, cocaine, adderall, salvia, and many more, including legal herbs) from Montana. I was recently on a study abroad trip to Fiji. In the city of Nadi there is a Hindu temple where many Indian Fijians go to pray. I went to check it out and found a large bowl of betel nuts there for the Indians to enjoy. I snagged a handful of them knowing simply that you are supposed to chew them to get a buzz.

I left the temple and went to the beach to chill. I decided to pop a betel nut into my mouth to see what would happen. It was a pretty hard nut to chew, and was overall quite vile. The texture of it was like bark and the taste was fiery and tasted exactly like strong incense. I didnít know you were supposed to spit out the juice, so I just chewed it up until I was able to swallow the pieces. This was a bad idea.

The effects were mild, and were like a light body buzz similar to tobacco. My tongue also went numb for a few minutes, and then I was left with a weird film in my mouth. My stomach felt uncomfortable from swallowing the nuts, but I didnít get sick. The next couple days I have had a sore in my mouth that I think is from the betel nut. I probably will try it again, but I will break up the nut, suck on the pieces, and spit out the juice.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 71924
Published: Sep 18, 2018Views: 1,321
Betel Nut (92) : First Times (2), Alone (16)