A Great Treat in Moderation
Hydrocodone
by Dr. House
Citation:   Dr. House. "A Great Treat in Moderation: An Experience with Hydrocodone (exp73176)". Erowid.org. Apr 26, 2016. erowid.org/exp/73176

10 mg oral Hydrocodone
  T+ 2:30 5 mg oral Hydrocodone

All of the experiences that I read (which is not to say, however, that I have read every one) tended to focus much more on the addiction/downward spiral element commonly associated with opiates, and failed to mention how they can be a hoot if you donít take them like a jackass. What do I mean by that? I mean donít take them every damn time you want some. Your tolerance goes through the roof, the acetaminophen starts to get to toxic dose levels, and youíll always be disappointed by not getting high enough. Do it a couple times a month tops. For instance, tonight is my first time taking any opiates for about a month and a half, and it only took 15 mg of hydrocodone to get me feeling just dandy.

So now that weíre past my introductory bullshit, letís get down to brass tacks, as they say. So around 6:00 PM I chewed up 10 mg of hydrocodone. I stress the chewing because itíll get into my system faster and harder if I chew it up, as opposed to just taking it like a normal pill. Look at it as a halfway point between taking it normally and snorting. It tastes like utter, utter shit. About 10 minutes later was when the effects started to slowly kick in. The first thing I notice is a tingling in my extremities (especially the legs, in my case). Itís kind of that feeling I get after a really good but really long run. I donít really have the motivation to move my legs, partly because my motor control is inhibited, but partly because it feels so damn good to do absolutely nothing. Emotionally, everything gradually becomes dulled. I wasnít yelling at the tv like I usually do (election years put me in a bad mood), and I found things I probably would have ordinarily found hilarious as simply amusing. However, the flipside of this coin is that, since my emotions are kind of dulled anyway, I donít care that my emotions are dulled, so this all becomes kind of a non-issue.

After a couple hours, I chewed up another 5 mg dose. Since it tastes like such shit, I decided to pre grind it using an empty izze bottle. This was a lot easier to take, but the pregrinding left a fair amount of residue on the surface I was using. No matter, though, I snorted the remainder. Not a lot of it, maybe about 10% of what I had in the first place. The snorting has left me with a kind of itchy nose (although I donít do it often, so people with more nasal fortitude may not have this problem), but once the 3rd one kicked in, I simply had no motivation to do anything. Picture the lack of motivation you get if youíre smoking pot. Now imagine that same mindset with more mental clarity. This is one of my few problems with opiates: I donít feel like doing anything, but am mentally clear enough to feel like I should be doing something.

A few other notes to make here: I find my attention span is shortened as the drug peaks, so for a while I pull the ďsitting and staring thingĒ, which is comprised of precisely that. Doesnít matter what Iím staring at, but for a solid half hour when the high is the most intense, I just zone out and stop focusing, stop thinking. Itís like being dead, but with sensory input. Also, and this is mentioned elsewhere, but I will mention it again: Do not drink alcohol. It sounds like itíll be awesome, and for a couple hours it is, until I wind up lying on the bathroom floor shaking for half an hour trying to keep my stomach contents in my stomach. Weed, however, can be a great mixer, putting my head in the same pleasant ďdo nothingĒ fog that my body is in, and itís always nice to have a little perceptive equality.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 73176
Published: Apr 26, 2016Views: 6,743
Hydrocodone (111) : General (1), Alone (16)