Review Erowid at
Help us be a "Top Rated Nonprofit" for the 12th year in a row
and spread accurate info about psychedelics and other psychoactive drugs.
("Share Your Story" link. Needs quick login creation but no verification of contact info)
A Surprisingly Good Time
MDMA, 5-HTP & Bupropion
Citation:   Connecty Bits. "A Surprisingly Good Time: An Experience with MDMA, 5-HTP & Bupropion (exp74400)". Mar 24, 2017.

T+ 0:00
10 mg oral Pharmaceuticals (daily)
  T+ 0:00 300 mg oral Pharms - Bupropion (daily)
  T+ 3:00 100 mg oral Tryptophan  
  T+ 5:00 100 mg oral Tryptophan  
  T+ 10:15 50 mg oral MDMA  
  T+ 10:15 100 mg oral Tryptophan  
  T+ 12:30 100 mg oral MDMA  
  T+ 12:30 200 mg oral Tryptophan - 5-HTP  
300 mg bupropion, 50 mg + 100 mg MDMA, some 5HTP

Background pharmacological intake: 10 mg lisinopril (for hypertension), 300 mg Budeprion XL (Wellbutrin, bupropion - for depression); both once daily. Lisinopril for four years now, Budeprion for about ten months. Occasionally smoke pot or drink alcohol, but neither is part of my daily routine.

So, I have rolled a handful of times before. I like to space out my rolls by at least one month (usually much longer) and prepare for them. Rolling is a very pleasant, therapeutic, special event for me. However, when I rolled in the past, I wasn't on antidepressants. I've read few reports about MDMA and bupriopion, so after learning that the combination was not likely to send me to the hospital, I decided to experiment on my own.

I ate lightly that day; I've heard mixed reports about eating and Molly, so I tried to moderate and ate only fruits and vegetables that day, though some tuna salad might have snuck in too. I ate my dinner of salad and a slice of wheat bread around 5:30 pm. (As usual, I had taken my lisinopril and bupropion at about 10am that morning.) Additionally, I preloaded a bit beforehand, though it may have been “too little, too late” as they say. I took 100 mg 5HTP at 1pm and 3pm.

At 8:15pm, I took 50 mg MDMA and another 100 mg 5HTP. I took a shower to pass the time to come up. In the shower, I waited for the usual rush (my dose was always 100 mg in the past), but I knew it would be less noticeable since I took a smaller amount. As it is, toward the end of the shower I noticed it took me longer to do routine things because I was distracted by sensations, particularly of water on my skin. I remember spending almost half a minute feeling the water run between my hands as I rubbed them together. Also, I was almost reflexively drinking water from the shower every half minute or minute. That's when I realized that the little dose had taken effect.

My friend, M, who is very close to me came by my room. We were getting dressed together to go to a party held at our house. My little dose was coming on now, so I began to feel talky and wanted to share. She is normally receptive and understanding, but was particularly so tonight, as she knew I had dosed. She came over around 8:50pm and we spent the next hour and a half talking in my room and listening to music. I mostly talked about hardships I had been through or thoughts/memories that had kept me feeling consistently sad recently. I found that the smaller dose allowed me to talk more freely, thoroughly, and honestly, but I didn't experience the usual euphoria that accompanies rolling.
I found that the smaller dose allowed me to talk more freely, thoroughly, and honestly, but I didn't experience the usual euphoria that accompanies rolling.
I felt safe and loved, but I could still experience the full range of emotions without swinging too wildly from one to the other extreme. I found that I was able to cry about things that I hadn't been able to, but wanted to, before then. M was drinking wine, so she at least had some help in keeping her attention on the task at hand!

Around 10:30pm, we decided that we had shared a lot that day, and it was ready to cut loose for the night. I took my 100 mg dose, 200 mg 5HTP, and we began getting ready to go to the party. I came up on this dose really, really fast. It felt like within ten minutes, I had the rush of euphoria, full pupil dilation, sensory magnification, teeth clenching, dry mouth... all of the things I usually associated with “rolling balls.” After about 15 minutes of dressing and putting on accessories, awkwardly applying make-up, etc, we headed down to the music. “Damn!” I realized I forgot to put my contacts in, just as we walked into the party room! After the rush of coming on, I was distracted and had to work hard to keep stock of my effects. I've learned that every time I roll, I have to tie my keys to my wrist, or I'll lose them. M tied them for me this time, but I couldn't tie my water bottle to my wrist. I kept leaving it in one room, moving to another, and having to go back to find it again. I was sure to drink when I was thirsty, though I think that had I been more conscious of my drinking, I would've felt better the day after. However, despite our participation in the dance party going on downstairs, I never felt overheated or uncomfortable.

I was UP, dancing, happy, social and extra physical with friends and housemates until about 2 am. I found that the slightly higher dose than usual gave me even more of an elevated self-image, to the point of being a bit narcissistic (uncharacteristic for me). I found myself engaging in more flirtatious/sexy behaviour with friends that night, and being much more confident and ambitious as well. We had entertainers at our party (fire-eaters, jugglers, etc); M and I watched them from the window of her room, still sharing and being close with each other. I began coming down around 2am; we changed out of party clothes and into pajamas (an important part of winding down after a wild night!), and began to lay down and relax, chatting to get ready for sleep. I went to bed around 2:30am and found that sleep came quickly, though fitfully. I had to get up to urinate several times early in the night; once later in the night, I woke up sweating and shivering (most likely from dehydration; this had happened to me once before when I rolled). However, I did my best to sleep through it and awoke at 9:30am the next day, feeling alert and with a neutral frame of mind.

My mood steadily improved over the morning, taking my daily meds again and thinking about the night before. I did experience some nausea in the morning, as well as a headache. These problems were both largely solved when I ate a huge brunch around 12pm, though the headache faintly persisted afterward as I continued to hydrate myself. In the morning, I tried to vomit (for me, nausea is best cured by just getting over with it and vomiting), but found I wasn't able to. I've never had a “hangover” from rolling, and I suspect it had to do with three things: 1) I took more Molly than usual (150 mg vs 100 mg), 2) I clearly didn't drink enough water vis a vis my sweats/chills, and 3) I hadn't eaten for a good 18 hours at least by 12pm the next day. In the afternoon, after my food had digested and I had drank a good bit more water, I felt normal, quite happy and content.

Things I will do differently in the future: 1) be sure to drink more water to avoid dehydration, 2) eat NOTHING for several hours before dosing, 3) eat something before crashing to bed [so my body has some energy to process the remaining MDMA and its metabolites; hopefully avoid future nausea], and 4) be sure to have something with salt in it before bed. I found myself craving salty broth all day (like you get with ramen).

I had a wonderful time; all it took was some planning and restriction of my substances to two mind-altering drugs, which may not even have significant interactions. Be safe!

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 74400
Gender: Female 
Age at time of experience: Not Given
Published: Mar 24, 2017Views: 4,513
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
MDMA (3) : Various (28), Depression (15), Combinations (3)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults