Help us be a 2021 "Top Rated Nonprofit", and spread accurate info
about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Side Effects and Potassium
GBL & Supplements
by neuro
Citation:   neuro. "Side Effects and Potassium: An Experience with GBL & Supplements (exp76246)". Erowid.org. Jun 22, 2021. erowid.org/exp/76246

repeated oral GBL (liquid)
      Vitamins / Supplements
      Smarts - Phenibut

This entry is speculation, as I lack the means for a scientific study, in the absence of which I can only find confirmation in the fact that my remedy has worked for me.

I have had many stints on GBL 2- 3.5+ ml doses anywhere from 1 to 4 hours apart around the clock. Some have lasted 6 months, some less than 1. These days, I try to keep it to weeks and not months.

After a week or, sometimes after 3 weeks or more, when the doses get a little higher, I often start to experience side effects. Some transient weakness or shaking in my hands or legs, chest pain, sweating at night, constipation, long periods without urination, then dark or red-ish urination, and even, extremely rarely, 2 min. bouts of paralysis (all of these transient).

I started to do some more research, and found more than I had the other times. When reading into the effects of potassium deficiency and excess, I was astonished to find most of my symptoms.

Symptoms of Potassium deficiency

Nerve and muscle dysfunction
Water retention
Heart arrythmias (rhythm disturbances, palpitations)
Muscle weakness
Confusion
Poor kidney function
Continual thirst
Low blood pressure'

Well that sums up most of my symptoms right there! As I had said, they increase with dosage. The chest pains I am referirng to aren't as much the ones from withdrawal as they are ones I usually start to get at about 2 or 3 weeks and only go away for about an hour after a dose. But potassium supplementation helps me with both. When on a GBL stint, which I do alot less of these days (I actually use in more moderation now, avoiding month binges) I take 2 potassium tabs (all the same strength) 2 - 3x daily, 1 multivit w/ mineral, 2 milk thistle (standardized silymarin for the liver), chromium picolinate for sugar metabolism, fish oil helps the heart be more resilient to possible cardiac events, a strong B vit complex to fight deficiency, and others that are less directly connected to side effects: dl-phenylalanine, 5-htp, aniracetam.

Also, I often use the help of Phenibut to greatly and affordably ease and quicken the tapering process. I can drop from 3ml - 3.5ml every 3 - 3.5 hours with occasional 1ml squirts, down to 1ml every 3 - 3.5 hours by that same time the next day on about 3 - 5 g of phenibut. But the GBL dose has to be reduced to avoid what is an additive reaction. I'm not a doctor, be careful. I can only say what doses I use, it's widely variable in what's appropriate for another person.

I hope that this helps any regular users that might stand to benefit, I have no direct proof, but I have results.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 76246
Published: Jun 22, 2021Views: 293
Smarts - Phenibut (379), Vitamins / Supplements (231), GBL (89) : Not Applicable (38), Addiction & Habituation (10), Combinations (3)