Erowid Canvas Tote/Shopping Bag
This reusable "Ecobag" is made of 100% recycled mid-weight
(10 oz) cotton canvas, printed with the Erowid logo.
Donate now and receive yours!
Stimulation Without Euphoria
4-Methylmethcathinone
by Sparky
Citation:   Sparky. "Stimulation Without Euphoria: An Experience with 4-Methylmethcathinone (exp77309)". Erowid.org. May 27, 2009. erowid.org/exp/77309

200 mg oral 4-Methylmethcathinone (powder / crystals)

I'm a 17 year-old male in the UK with experiences of stimulants, narcotics and psychedelics.

On to my experience...

I measured out approximately 200mg of mephedrone by splitting a 1g packet into 5 equal lumps. The mephedrone was an off-white powder with a strong fishy smell. The 200mg was dissolved into a cup of water and drunk quickly. Despite experience with many other substances, I have no desire to ever insufflate anything, hence the oral dose.

As I had recently come back from work, I grabbed myself a sandwich and crisps whilst waiting for the mephedrone to take affect. After about 20 minutes, I could feel more than anticipation. The chemical was starting to come up.

Bang! The mephedrone hit with surprising force. An overwhelming sense of speed enveloped my body; I could only describe what I could feel as my pupils dilating quickly, close objects becoming larger when focussed on, and distant objects becoming smaller. There was a sense of disconnection from the room. Music playing sounded slightly distant and tinny, albeit much, much faster.

Moving around seemed very, very fast and I felt the need to pace a bit. At one point, I lay down for a couple of seconds as the rush became too intense. I didn't record my heart rate accurately, but estimated it at 150bpm + at this point.

Oddly lacking from this crazy speed was a sense of euphoria. This is where the mephedrone for me became disappointing. As the speedy rush weakened (after only 5 - 10 minutes), I was expecting euphoria to wash over me. No such luck. The speed diminished into a caffeine-like residual stimulation. A side effect present however was strong leg shaking and jaw-clenching.

This residual stimulation lasted for about two hours after the short, 10 minute rush diminished. Despite this, I had no problem sleeping, and awoke early the next morning refreshed.

In conclusion, mephedrone really disappointed me. The initial come-up rush led me on to thinking I had stumbled upon something very special - then it dropped off. Whether this is due to the method of ingestion, the fact that I ate after dosing, or my own brain chemistry is unknown.

It seems that few reports from Erowid and afar have mentioned a lack of euphoria, so it just goes to show that chemicals affect people uniquely. Being a school night, and driving the next day, I didn't intend to redose; this may have brought on the desired euphoria, and I may try this at another point. At no point was I compelled to take more mephedrone, despite its reputation of being moreish.

In the future, I will try accurately measuring 200mg into a gelcap, and try the substance in a more fitting situation - a rave or party. However, based on my first experience, it proved disappointing and not worthwhile considering little is known about harmful effects.

Cheers,

-- Sparky

Exp Year: 2009ExpID: 77309
Published: May 27, 2009Views: 23,492
4-Methylmethcathinone (458) : General (1), Alone (16)