Erowid Canvas Tote/Shopping Bag
This reusable "Ecobag" is made of 100% recycled mid-weight
(10 oz) cotton canvas, printed with the Erowid logo.
Donate now and receive yours!
Night of Hell - Thought She'd Die!
Spice-Like Smoking Blends (Spike)
Citation:   A normal dude. "Night of Hell - Thought She'd Die!: An Experience with Spice-Like Smoking Blends (Spike) (exp85235)". Jan 24, 2020.

2 hits smoked Products - Spice-Like Smoking Blends
We had a HORRIBLE experience, which I promise is 100% true, and happened only last night, as I write in a still foggy haze.

Background: I am a 36 year old male, 175 lbs, 5'10' tall... so, average height and size, good shape, exercise twice a week. This post is more about my wife, with hopes to adamantly encourage others to give serious second thought to EVER trying this joke of a drug... ESPECIALLY in regards to giving it to the girl you love! My wife is a tiny thing, standing 5'1' and 90 lbs. She tried weed a number of times in college and never had any problems, but never particularly liked it either. She never did any psychedelics. I smoked weed for about 7 years from the time I was 23 to 30, and smoked a good amount of it. I have a good amount of experience 'shrooming as well, along with a few Salvia trips during that time.

I quit all of it once my son was born 6 years ago, and a part of me kind of missed smoking weed. Out of curiosity, I had tried 'imitation' weed many years ago, and it tasted bad, with no buzz and no real high but did slightly relax me, and just gave a sore throat. A buddy and I went to an Arena Football game Saturday, and I felt very hungover. I got curious if some of the legal, herbal smokes might help take the edge off my hangover. Thought maybe they'd gotten better since I'd last tried them many years ago, and maybe'd relax me a bit... so, went to local headshop and found this 'Spike Diamond' blend that the guys at the counter talked up as getting people “really high”, and assumed they were commissioned sales employees. I was incredibly skeptical due to past experiences with “all natural, legal highs”. Called the wife and she was hesitant, but agreed after I assured her that things are so heavily regulated in the U.S., it can't be too bad and probably won't even work much. BOY, was I wrong.

Sunday night: From a very small glass pipe, that the headshop actually just gave to me, after we chat a bit about me not smoking anything (cigarettes included) for over 6 years. I took 2 hits: a small one and then a large one… and the wife took 1 very small hit and then a medium sized hit. We both had a very good level of high, and repeatedly iterated how shocked we were that this stuff could possibly be legal. It was strange, in that the drug was getting us very high, with absolutely no euphoria whatsoever.
It was strange, in that the drug was getting us very high, with absolutely no euphoria whatsoever.

On one hand it felt like weed, but assuredly and definitely was NOT weed. We watched a comedy, laughed quite a bit, but were pretty tired from the Spike. Wife decided to go to bed, and I took another big hit and watched “Survivor”. After that I tried to join my wife in bed, but could not sleep… soooo tired, but mind was going too much. Fought it for 2+ hours and finally fell asleep.

Monday a/m: Felt really tired and groggy. Hard time getting out of bed. Simply was not sure if I liked this stuff or not. Really mixed feelings. I am one of those guys who absolutely LOVED smoking weed, and if I did not have a family would probably still be smoking. But again, not sure if I liked this or not, and am truly still shocked that it’s legal. It was so strange to experience some pot-like qualities, but without any sense of 'warm-smilies' or the giddiness/happiness/silliness that I usually experience when smoking weed. There was honestly no feelings of euphoria. It was very “chemical-ly”.

Monday p/m, NIGHT OF HELL: When my wife got home, I asked if she wanted to try it one more time before we get rid of the Spike. Again, she was hesitant because she said didn’t particularly like it. I said I didn’t either, but wanted to try it one more time before flushing the remainder down the toilet… we had it sitting there, and had no hugely unpleasant experience, so might as well.

She said she’d just have a beer, but I suggested I would be self-conscious if I was smoking it and she wasn’t, and promised I wouldn’t ask her to do it again.

I took one really big hit, held it in my lungs for 20-30 seconds, and then she took a small hit. We decided to take the sheets out of the dryer and make the bed. I was almost instantly as high as a frigging kite. WAAAAY higher than the night before. I had to have laser-beam focus to help with my end of the sheets, and was clumsy and having a difficult time formulating clear thought and then enunciating the words as I intended them. I told her I was sooo messed up... while my wife explained that she was feeling absolutely nothing whatsoever! So I encouraged her to take another hit, and not such a baby one.

She took a medium hit that she held in her lung for maybe 10 seconds, then coughed and exhaled. It wasn’t probably more than 30 to 60 seconds later that this night began to take its instantaneous turn for the worse. After her 2nd hit, she went into the living room, and started saying, “Ohhhh! Baby! I don’t like this! Baby! WHY did I do this! I don’t like this!” It almost instantaneously escalated into a psychosomatic turn of events that left the next hour and 45 minutes as pure hell and torture for us both.

Her heart started with a rapid heart beat, and tightening of her chest, and shortness of breath. She was saying she couldn’t breathe, and felt like her heart was going to explode. She kept asking is she should go to the hospital. I tried everything I could think of. I tried to get her to eat, but her mouth was so dry, that even the texture of an apple felt like sand and dirt in her mouth. She would chew it up and spit it out and then freak out again. We tried apple’s, ice cream, pasta, popsicle’s, cucumbers, water, and fruit juice. Water is all she could handle. She kept yelling “Baby! Baby! Baby! I can’t do this! Why is this happening? I feel like I’m going to die! I can’t do this!”

I got her to lay down, and tried to calm her. I tried absolutely every method of reassurance and empathy I could think of. Because I was about 15 minutes ahead of her 2nd smoke/hit of Spike, I kept telling her that I was experiencing exactly what she was feeling only 15 minutes earlier, and if she could just make it 15 minutes she would feel better. She would grab me and hold me tight, and then push me away and yell that she felt like her chest would explode and needed her space. I kept reminding her that she was only high and that the drugs were playing with her brain, and that her heart was beating a little fast, but not out of her chest as she believed. I told her that in one hour she’d be fine. I told her that when I was on a treadmill at the gym, my heart rate is usually over 180 beats per minute. I tried to find my phone to time and take her heart rate, but could not find it anywhere because she’d start freaking out and I’d run back to be with her.

In the next 15 minutes, multiple times she ran into the shower and started taking an ice cold shower because she was convinced she was overheating and had a fever. The shower was literally ice cold, and her motor skills were so messed up that her teeth were chattering uncontrollably, and she could not find the proper setting of too cold versus too hot… alternating between nearly scalding herself to freezing rain hitting her. I set the shower on a warm temperature for her and told her not to touch it. She started having horrible stomach pains with terrible and repeated diarrhea every 10-15 minutes.

Finally, I talked her into some deep breaths and convinced her that she would be fine and that in another 30 minutes she’d be feeling better. I kept trying to remind her that she’d feel OK soon if she could just calm down. Her whole body was shaking, and her mouth was chattering uncontrollably. Time slowed down at one point, where it felt like 60 minutes of hell for us both… only 11 minutes had gone by. I put on the oven timer for 30 minutes, and told her to just make it to the timer. I would reset the timer after 30 minutes would pass, and tell her to just hold on for the next beeping of the timer. I suggested we try to watch some TV to take her mind off of how she was feeling. She agreed, and then she had another wave hit her. She just kept having wave after wave come at her, fine for a second, then a freak out... and I could relate.

She ran into the bedroom and lay on the bed and started yelling, “Baby! I need a Doctor! I feel like I’m going to die! I need to go to the hospital! Baby I need to go to the hospital!” I went to try to hold her and calm her down but she pushed me away and said she needed space, and that her chest felt like it would explode. I kept just putting my hand on her and saying, “Honey, just relax. Baby, this is the drugs making you feel bad. Your mind is tricking you baby. You need to breathe, you need to relax.” It was really hard, because for 10 minutes she BEGGED me to go to the hospital, and I was so scared to go. Do ANY of you know what it's like to have to refuse to take your wife to the hospital when she is so freaked out? I told her a story about my nephew taking ‘shrooms one day about 7 years ago… he started a really bad trip and going into really bad places in his mind, and we told him to go into the bedroom and start saying the name of Jesus over and over until he felt better, and in 5 minutes he came back good as gold.

I was REALLY starting to freak out about the idea of going to the hospital, and praying she came to her senses. I knew she would be fine if she could just wait out the panic attack, but I was very, very close to taking her to the hospital because she was so frantic... also, I was truly afraid of seeing coworkers of hers, or people we know in this smaller town, and the ramifications from both personal and financial standpoints (drug tests, lab tests, hospital bill, Dr’s bill, etc). Also, she could have made a HUGE HUGE scene at the ER room, cops become involved for this 'legal' drug, and really freaked a LOT of people out. I started getting panicked a bit myself, and basically started begging her to please calm down
I started getting panicked a bit myself, and basically started begging her to please calm down
and that she was starting to freak me out, and that it was going to go away if she could just hold on.

Ironically, me starting to get a little upset started to calm her down, and she said, “You’re right. I can do it. It’s the drugs. We can’t go to the hospital.” After an hour of this CRAP drug that felt like much longer, she started to feel better 'for real' this time. But the whole night, my “trip” was 15’ish minutes ahead of hers. I had the same notion of feeling better 'for real' this time, only to have another intense wave come at me again. I was praying this wasn’t the case for her.

Sure enough, 15 minutes later, she had another huge wave come at her, and she had another chest tightening, rapid heart beat, shortness of breath attack. She continued to alternate from the TV room, to the spare bedroom, to our bed, and the toilet and shower. I had put on a movie, light-hearted comedy “Bruce Almighty”, and it seemed to help take her mind off things for bits at a time, until having to exit the room to calm herself again. I would pause the movie every time, and just wait for her outside the door, giving her space, but also letting her know I was right there for her.

After 1 hour and 45 minutes from her 2nd hit of the Spike, she finally and permanently came back to a place of toleration. Her mind was finally right enough that she realized how crazy and panicked she was acting, and the chest pain/breathing/claustrophobia/panic issues had subsided. But she was INCREDIBLY relieved. For the next hour or so, we watched the remainder of Bruce Almighty without further trouble, and only talking about how crappy the experience was, and how shocked we were that there is any way in the world that this stuff is legal and “100% natural”. She said the oven timer was her saving grace, and having the ability to focus on and look forward to that oven timer going off, knowing she “just had to make it to the next 30 minutes” was HUGE for her. She said she thinks it saved her from having to go to the hospital.

IN CONCLUSION: I have had 2 really bad trips on ‘shrooms in my 20’s, and this was the worst experience of all. I hated seeing my wife in this condition, and felt/feel guilty and like a bad husband for bringing this into our lives. I would encourage each and every person to read about this product extensively before smoking it.

In retrospect and after research, it turns out this is not “100% natural” because they spray or sprinkle synthetics (man-made chemicals) ONTO the herbs you are smoking. NOBODY knows what long-term effects these chemicals can or will have on you.

I found user experiences almost IDENTICAL to what my wife experienced after her 'only' 1.5 small hits of the stuff. These experiences are NOT from small-timers or inexperienced users like my wife… we are talking hardcore weed smokers for their entire life, whom are having these panicked, chest-thunder, no breathing experiences. It is truly, truly scary, as none of us have any idea what we’ve truly ingested or inhaled.

I believe that the first night we smoked it, it was like weed is for some people... not too much effect. But night 2 of Spike Diamond, and we were in this night of HELL. I know the first time I smoked weed, my buddy said I smoked a lot... and yet I did not become high. We know this is common for first timers. The next time I smoked weed, I was out of my mind. Maybe this is like weed, where once in your system it is much stronger, or even a different chemical reaction. Or maybe being an unregulated, chemical drug, we got a hugely concentrated dose in one little piece. Who knows?

It angers me greatly that these packages are so mislabeled and misrepresented, so as to say that they are 100% natural… This was not what the wife and I anticipated, expected, or were in for, and frankly, I’m furious. Mad at myself for doing something to possibly put my wife at risk, and angrier that these crooks can get away with mislabeling. I will never smoke anything again in my life, ESPECIALLY that which is “legal”. I promise you, Spike won’t be legal for long.

In fact, I am sure it will not be long before someone dies from this product, who has a pre-existing heart condition or similar. I hate to sound sour here, but I am just so upset my wife went through this with her heart pounding out of her chest. I love that girl crazily, and if the label said “chemical, man-made derivative to get you high”, I never would have touched it. We were looking for a mild relaxant on a Sunday/Monday night of TV.

Exp Year: 2010ExpID: 85235
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: 36
Published: Jan 24, 2020Views: 1,995
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Products - Spice-Like Smoking Blends (472) : General (1), First Times (2), What Was in That? (26), Second Hand Report (42), Health Problems (27), Small Group (2-9) (17)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults