Review Erowid at GreatNonprofits.org!
Help us be a "Top Rated Nonprofit" for the 10th year in a row
and spread info about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Awful
Melatonin & Alcohol
by NeverAgain
Citation:   NeverAgain. "Awful: An Experience with Melatonin & Alcohol (exp92093)". Erowid.org. Sep 2, 2011. erowid.org/exp/92093

7 glasses oral Alcohol
  12 mg oral Melatonin (pill / tablet)

After a long night of drinking [7 or so drinks], I got home around 6 am and desperately needed to get to sleep. I'm an insomniac, and I was all out of any medications I usually use to sleep, so I took 4 3mg melatonin pills.

I fell asleep nearly instantly (possibly because of the long night of drinking.) But about 20 minutes later, I woke up with a huge hangover. It was head-splitting, and I couldn't get back to sleep for the life of me. I disregarded the melatonin and figured it just hadn't worked.

At about 10 am, the head-splitting hangover was gone, but I felt groggy, lazy, unable to focus, and out-of-it. I wasn't happy anywhere I was, and my eyes felt like they didn't want to be open. When I closed my eyes, all of the colors behind my eyelids were vividly turning into shapes, it was all very trippy.

At noon, I had to go out for lunch with my dad. I still hadn't slept, and all I felt like doing was lying down. My heart felt like it was racing but it wasn't. I was scared I was going to just blank out and zone away in the middle of the restaurant. I played sodoku to keep my mind awake, and somehow made it through the awful experience.

Exp Year: 2010ExpID: 92093
Published: Sep 2, 2011Views: 7,154
Alcohol (61) : Difficult Experiences (5), Hangover / Days After (46), Combinations (3), Alone (16)