Erowid relies on the generosity of the public for funding.
Please, include Erowid Center in your charitable giving!
Good for Daytime Somnolence
Catuaba & Yohimbine
by Latino
Citation:   Latino. "Good for Daytime Somnolence: An Experience with Catuaba & Yohimbine (exp93551)". Erowid.org. Feb 20, 2019. erowid.org/exp/93551

75 mg oral Pharms - Nortriptyline (daily)
  T+ 0:00 2 mg oral Pharms - Alprazolam (daily)
  T+ 0:00 500 mg oral Catuaba (capsule)
  T+ 0:00 5 mg oral Yohimbine (capsule)
  T+ 0:30 1.5 mg oral Pharms - Alprazolam (pill / tablet)
  T+ 1:30 1 cig. smoked Cannabis

I suffer a lot with daytime somnolence, I dont use to fall asleep into the day (so its not a 'real' narcolepsy), but it really is a problem. Ive gone to a pharmacy after knowing about stimuant effects of catuaba, but in my pills of 500mg of catuaba powder it came also 5mg of yohimbine. It was a surprise.

Im a user of controlled medications for depression and anxiety, so I take daily 75mg of nortriptyline and 2mg alprazolam daily. I use to smoke marijuana (of the poorest quality) almost daily and have done cocaine and codeine and methylphenidate some times years ago.

I took four capsules of the catuaba-yohimbine combinations, and after 30 minutes I noted overstimulation, tachycardia and hand tremors. Also anxiety, but Ive took 1,5 mg of alprazolam and got calmer. An hour later I smoked a joint and it hit much higher than normal, I was much stoned than normal.

Knowing that the yohimbine stimulation was not a good one (unlike cocaine, for example) but was good against daytime somnolence, I started to take one capsule after lunch daily. It works well for that, I feel more alert, more energized.
I feel more alert, more energized.
Im not a real fan of stimulant drugs, but this somnolence and fatigue I daily feel is a real problem for me.

Im still going to talk to my doctor in a next appointment about it, I think that a modafinil, for example, is more efficient in narcolepsy or narcolepsy-like situations than these capsules.

By note, I did not have any sexual effects taking the yohimbine.

Exp Year: 2011ExpID: 93551
Published: Feb 20, 2019Views: 1,567
Yohimbine (787), Catuaba (325) : Retrospective / Summary (11), Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), Combinations (3), Various (28)