Some Effects but Not Hallucinogenic
Salvia divinorum (5x extract) & Nitrous Oxide
by Curiousgirl
Citation:   Curiousgirl. "Some Effects but Not Hallucinogenic: An Experience with Salvia divinorum (5x extract) & Nitrous Oxide (exp93756)". Erowid.org. Nov 10, 2019. erowid.org/exp/93756

smoked Salvia divinorum (extract - 5x)
    inhaled Nitrous Oxide (gas)

Experience #1:

After reading up on salvia divinorum (A), a friend and I decided to embark upon this journey for the first time, with some salvia that I had had in my possession for about 7-8 months (at room temperature), but had never used. This was 5x extract-enhanced leaves.

We decided to go about it with a reverent mindset, and we sage-smudged, burned incense, and cleared our space and our minds before we got started, and the room was lit up by candlelight. I had pre-measured out the dosage based on the recommendation from where I had bought it, which said 1 gram is good for 15-30 doses, so I had measured it out into doses of 1/15 of a gram each. (We had not eaten for several hours prior, and each of us drank a small amount of wine, say 1/4 of a glass each, before starting.)

We decided for one of us to go first and for the other to act as a sitter, then switch off when the effects wore off.
I put one dose in the pipe and took several hits, trying to draw in as much smoke as possible. Then I sat there and waited for it to kick in. I did feel different, like kind of hazy and a little bit cozy, but there was nothing hallucinogenic about it. My friend also took the same dose, and we had identical results. Then we decided that maybe it was old and less potent, so we packed the pipe (maybe 3 of those doses?) and smoked that. It still had a slightly stronger cozy/hazy effect, but nothing more. And the effect wore off after 5-10 minutes.

It was pretty harsh and unpleasant to smoke, so we didn't try to smoke any more.

Experience #2:

The second time, I knew the stuff was weak, so I decided to see what would happen if I used a little bit of nitrous with it. I packed the pipe and smoked that, then did some nitrous, and I could definitely feel a stronger effect. The most noticeable effect was that it felt like my hands were really far away from my body, like there was a lot of distance there. And mentally, things seemed kind of stark and grave. I had the TV on at the time, and that also seemed far away. I continued to alternate smoking the weak salvia with some small nitrous hits, and was able to sustain this state I created for maybe 40-45 minutes. It was an OK high (although still not hallucinogenic in any way), although it did not produce any euphoria or anything like that.

I guess the moral of the story is, to store my herb in the freezer, and/or use it quickly to retain the potency.

Exp Year: 2011ExpID: 93756
Published: Nov 10, 2019Views: 348
Nitrous Oxide (40), Salvia divinorum (44) : Various (28), Combinations (3), General (1)