Erowid relies on the generosity of the public for funding.
Please, include Erowid Center in your charitable giving!
Use With Extreme Caution
Aniracetam
by varietas
Citation:   varietas. "Use With Extreme Caution: An Experience with Aniracetam (exp94681)". Erowid.org. May 29, 2019. erowid.org/exp/94681

3 g oral Aniracetam (daily)

I took Aniracetam in 750mg doses four times daily for a duration of one week. I did not take Choline with the Aniracetam, which is what I believe caused my issues. This is purely a conjecture. I am not a doctor or medical professional of any sort.

At first blush the effects were quite positive.
At first blush the effects were quite positive.
My impulse control was dramatically improved, as was my attention span and working memory. The negative physiological side-effects, however, quickly overtook the positive cognitive effects.

By the end of the seven day period I was experiencing mild shortness of breath, confusion (mostly expressed as difficulty comprehending long or complex written passages), and increased anxiety as well as irritability and reduced sex drive. I also noticed a change in the quality and frequency of urination, as well as a mild, non-specific and non-referred discomfort in the small of my back. These are all tell-tale signs of kidney trouble.

I immediately stopped taking Aniracetam and continued to watch for signs of kidney damage. As of this writing I have been without Aniracetam for 4 days. All indications are that kidney function has begun to return to normal, though I have been experiencing a depressed mood level and a distinct lack of motivation.

Despite the positive -and in some cases glowing- anecdotes surrounding this 'wonder drug', Aniracetam is sold as a prescription drug in Europe. I strongly urge others to seek the council of a licensed medical professional before purchasing or using this substance.

Exp Year: 2012ExpID: 94681
Published: May 29, 2019Views: 1,505
Aniracetam (286) : Unknown Context (20), Health Problems (27)