Help us be a 2020 "Top Rated Nonprofit", and spread accurate info
about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Dripping Bliss
Butalbital & Codeine
by Wsup Den
Citation:   Wsup Den. "Dripping Bliss: An Experience with Butalbital & Codeine (exp96481)". Erowid.org. Dec 28, 2013. erowid.org/exp/96481

100 mg oral Butalbital (pill / tablet)
  T+ 0:45 60 mg oral Codeine (pill / tablet)

First off let me start by saying that I have had a brain/ upper spine and back surgery three years ago. All drugs I abuse have been prescribed to ME over one year ago. I heavily indulge in my leftovers several times per year. To give you perspective on my tolerance, I take at least 360mg codeine or 6-8 Percs or Vics to get high for the afternoon. I always do Cold Water Extraction on any dose that exceeds 1.5mg APAP (Tylenol) in one day. This will be a retrospective on my first experience combining a barbiturate with codeine.

Several days ago I found some Fioricet (50mg Butalbital, Caffeine, APAP) in my medicine cupboard. I have never taken Butalbital before, to my knowledge. One day I took one tab, and the next day I took two tabs. The effects of the Butalbital alone can be read in another entry in the Butalbital section. This overview will pick up where that entry left off.

45 minutes after orally ingesting 100mg Butalbital on a partially full stomach I decide to take 60mg codeine.

30 minutes after taking the codeine, I had a noticeable opiate buzz. As expected with such a small dose of a lightweight opiate, the codeine effect itself was mild.

45 minutes after the codeine I am feeling a decent euphoria, much better than I was expecting. I felt incredibly relaxed, and it felt SO good to just let my head flop around and let my body flow how it wanted. I was surprised at how the combo of Butalbital and Codeine came together to make a whole new experience that Iíve never experienced before even on large doses of ďharderĒ opiates.

Over the next two hours my euphoria intensified and I became more tired. The more tired I got the better I felt. The feeling of supreme relaxation from the Butalbital intensified the codeine, and both drugs reciprocated each others effects. I felt like my movements trailed around, like I wasnít moving as one whole, but like parts of me were dripping off and then regrouping. This experience was unique and also fun. The euphoria was less intense than a large dose of opiates alone, but I was in a far more relaxed and careless state than Iíve ever experienced with just opiates.

As the night wore on the euphoria and relaxation continued steady without dropping off. I didnít feel like I needed to bump my dose to maintain the high. After an excellent 6 hour long experience I went to sleep, still fully enjoying the high.

This being such a small dose of both drugs, I was pleasantly surprised. I will try again with 200 or 250mg of Butalbital and some hydrocodone. I would anticipate extreme euphoria, but with a great twist from the extremely relaxing and body perception altering Butalbital.

One thing to note is that the constipation I was subjected to after this experience was worse than I normally have with opiates alone. At about four hours in I got a quick, sharp stabbing pain in my left abdomen, and I knew that it was the drugs telling my digestive tract to shut down. This doesnít concern me, and is my main side effect of these drugs. I didnít defecate the next day, but did the day after. Next time I use Butalbital in combination with opiates I will take a docusate or senna, which will negate the side effects.

The small dose I described didnít get me really high or smashed, but it was enough to be enjoyable. This combo is a really great way to spend an evening alone (probably not good for a group experience) if you donít want to get really wasted. By the way, I personally never felt the caffeine.

All in all, this is a great relaxation combo with mild euphoria and extreme relaxation from a small dose.

Exp Year: 2012ExpID: 96481
Published: Dec 28, 2013Views: 15,851
Butalbital (576), Codeine (14) : General (1), First Times (2), Combinations (3), Hangover / Days After (46), Alone (16)