Do you know about
It's an Erowid project that does lab drug testing of anonymously
submitted samples & publishes the results online. [See Recent Results]
Horrifying Intensity at the Camp
H.B. Woodrose
by MottTheHoople
Citation:   MottTheHoople. "Horrifying Intensity at the Camp: An Experience with H.B. Woodrose (exp96706)". Aug 18, 2013.

15 seeds oral H.B. Woodrose (extract)


This report deals with an experience I had on this very potent psychedelic. I did many stupid things this particular day and I want to write this report as a caution to anyone interested in exploring the legal psychoactives available in the U.S.

It was the summer of '07, I had been around the block with drugs enough times to know where the good parking spaces were at that point. I started out with marijuana at age 16, which totally changed my perspective on life for the better. Over the years I had used Mushrooms, Cacti, DXM, Morning Glory, Ecstasy (which I became quite addicted to for a six-month period when I was 19), 2C-1, 2C-E, Cocaine, Crack, Opium, various Benzos and Painkillers, Ritalin, Addarall, Meth, AMT, DiPT, 5-meo-MiPT (see my experience report 'The Mind Numbing Psychedelic?'), and probably various others which I can't think of right now. And during that time I had fallen madly in love with a bad woman, probably the most potent 'high' and worst 'crash' of them all. I also developed a stubborn addiction to Cigarettes and Alcohol, which I am still trying to rid myself of...

When I was 17 I had made an extract of Morning Glory seeds using the polar-nonpolar method to ease the nausea. I believe I felt something from that but it was very subtle, maybe a + or even a +/- on the Shulgin scale. This time, five years later I decided to make an extract of Hawaiian Baby Woodrose and wanted there to be no mistake about potency. I think I used about fifteen seeds and the extract went well, leaving me with a few capsules of what I call 'psychedelic birdseed'.

At the time I had lived on my own for a few years and was getting ready to go back to college, so my dad suggested I move into his basement for a few months to save up money. The morning of the experience, I took some newly purchased camping gear, food, black tea, a harmonica, a notebook and pen, loaded up the car and drove about sixty miles north to a beautiful state park. I had also brought along about a quarter bottle of rum and some weed, just in case the extract didn't work.

When I got to the park, I found a nice secluded area, set up my tent, made a cup of tea and ingested the capsules. I believe I also took some Dramamine or something to keep me from throwing up... Very stupid idea!

Within about thirty minutes, the effects began to manifest and I knew within an hour that I had taken way too much. My tent was beginning to become covered with caterpillars and spiders, which were really there, not a hallucination; however the bugs' gyrations sent intensely frightening shadows into the tent. I opened the front of the tent and saw that the forest was breathing and colors were taking on a 'Van Gogh' type effect, not to dissimilar to good mushrooms.

I also became very ill and attempted to vomit, to no avail. The 'losing my mind' feeling was in full, FULL force. It was like tripping as hard as you've ever tripped and having the flu at the same time. I don't know how long I was there but it was probably early afternoon. I decided I needed help, so I left my gear in the woods, walked to the trailhead where I had parked my car and started slowly driving out of the state park. I know Erowid will insert their stock warning here, but it bears repeating... Driving intoxicated or tripping is extremely dangerous and can hurt or kill people. Don't do it, EVER! [Erowid does not condone or support operating any vehicles while under the influence of any substance]

When I got to the interstate, I decided I was overdosing on LSA and I probably should get my stomach pumped. There is a town with a hospital right off the highway, halfway between the park and my dad's house, so I figured if I felt confident by the time I got that far, I would go all the way home, but if not I would go to the emergency room.

The drive home was a nightmare. I was not swerving like a drunk or anything and I saw a few cops who obviously didn't think I was driving poorly either. But I kept feeling like I was being pushed closer and closer to the ground, as if my tires were flat, and I pulled over several times to check the tire pressure, which of course was fine. I also ditched the booze and weed at this point on the side of the road.

I tried to turn on the radio to give me something to hold onto, some grounding in reality... When I flipped it on, the Allman Brothers' 'Whipping Post' was blaring and as you can imagine, it was evil! As if Satan were playing the guitar and organ. It crushed my head and I couldn't take it. I drove the rest of the way home in silence, watching the clouds dance, the sky change colors and repeating to myself over and over 'You're gonna make it, this is a drug and its effects will eventually end'.

When I got home I went inside and my dad was standing there, perplexed. He thought I was going camping for a couple of days and wanted to know why I was home so soon. He tried to tell me some information he had just learned about the college I had been accepted to, which is in Alaska. He was very excited and happy that I was pulling my life together and started showing me a map and talking to me with rainbows flying out of his head. My dad's a short guy, so am I, but while tripping he looked like a midget! I told him, 'I'm sick as hell, I need to go lay down.' and went down to the basement to ride out the horrible trip.

In my dad's dark basement, the audio hallucinations began to kick in heavily. There is a part in the J. Geils Band song 'Wild Man' where their singer, Peter Wolf goes 'Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!' over and over again in an urgent, almost demonically possessed voice. I had only that one section of the song stuck in my head on loop, the 'yeah, yeah, yeah's pounding in my brain and screaming directly into my face. Eventually that subsided and was replaced by the one growling low-pass filter synthesizer sound from a Tool song off Lateralus. Also extremely intense and unstoppable. The ceiling was swirling and I still felt very, very physically sick. My dad left to visit my mom, who was in a nursing home at the time suffering from Multiple Sclerosis. I could tell by his sighs as he got ready to leave that he was pissed off.

It was well over 18 hours before I felt even remotely normal again and 24 hours or so before I could eat anything. I had a bowl of cereal and stroked my dad's pet rabbit. When he asked me what had happened, I told him I was drinking Kava Kava tea to try and meditate in the woods when I got really sick. I'm sure he knew I was full of shit.

Anyway, a month or two later, I packed up my stuff, got on the road and drove all the way to Alaska, which was probably the best thing I've done for myself in my entire life. I realized while I was slowly coming down from the trip that I had very nearly blew my chance at moving to this wonderful state and finishing my education.

So to recap, here are the mistakes which made this trip the horrible experience which it became. First, I grossly overestimated the amount of material I should take. Because I wanted to make sure I had a +++ experience, I ended up taking way too much. Also, taking the Dramamine was a bad idea. If you feel like you took too much of something and need to vomit, you have to be able to! I drove, which is the worst thing anyone can do on drugs, and honestly shouldnít be done sober either, cars are bad news. I took this trip alone, with nobody to watch over me, in an unfamiliar setting, in a park where rangers may have caught me and I ended up leaving all my brand new camping gear there. I went back for it a few days later and of course, it was gone. I lied to my father, which obviously is something most young drug users have to do. My dad and I have a good relationship nowadays but we both put a lot of strain on each other back then. I also panicked about the car tires and set myself up for possible arrest if a cop had stopped to help me.

Iím not going to say Ďdonít tripí, but for me it was not really worth it. I continued doing drugs for a few years here and there and even grew my own shrooms in college, which were very potent. Many of my experiences were very good, but many were difficult. Today I stick with weed, and as I said earlier, I am trying to quit drinking. If you are a somewhat unstable person like myself, have a moody personality (Iím a cancer) or an addictive personality, then drugs just arenít where itís at... Especially psychedelics.

I know if you wanna trip, youíre gonna trip, but please be careful. Do it with a trusted friend, and do not, under any circumstances get into a vehicle. Put your car keys in a safe deposit box or something. And always, always err on the side of caution when it comes to dosage. You can always take more, you canít take the drugs out of your bloodstream once theyíre in thereÖ

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 96706
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: 23 
Published: Aug 18, 2013Views: 3,876
[ View as PDF (for printing) ] [ View as LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Switch Colors ]
H.B. Woodrose (26) : Difficult Experiences (5), Bad Trips (6), Health Problems (27), Nature / Outdoors (23), Hangover / Days After (46), Alone (16)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission prior to your downloading the data.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults