Have You Had a Belief Changing
Psychedelic Experience?
Take this Survey from our friends at Johns Hopkins
Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research!
MIxed Reactions
Bupropion
by Antares
Citation:   Antares. "MIxed Reactions: An Experience with Bupropion (exp98077)". Erowid.org. Nov 19, 2020. erowid.org/exp/98077

300 mg oral Pharms - Bupropion (daily)

I was prescribed Zyban for the purposes of quitting smoking [150 mg twice a day slow release tablets]. I was on it for about 3 weeks. The first thing I noticed is that it has an amphetamine like quality to it. I felt elated and energetic, but not over the top and out of control. As an insomniac already I found the insomnia side effects to be quite strong
I found the insomnia side effects to be quite strong
, I managed about 4-6 hours sleep a night, but probably could have gone without any sleep at all. The elated feelings and insomnia subsided after about a week or so.

I'm not a huge drinker, I might drink about 8 drinks a night on a big night, and I found no problems whatsoever with bupropion, in fact the sleepiness that comes with drinking was negated to some degree.

It is effective as a quit smoking aid, if I put in the effort. The only thing I found is that if I smoke when on this drug is that I 'spun' a little more, that is a bit dizzy. Not really badly. It is easy to keep on smoking while on bupropion. It does however definitely help with the ride when quitting. I still felt the effects of quitting, but they become very tolerable.

The whole script was meant to last a bit over two months. After about a week and a half I had this feeling that I'm just over being on this drug. I ignored the feeling, I'm usually a pretty logical person. Maybe I should have listened. After about 2 and a half weeks I started to develop an allergic reaction to it. It started on my lower back and spread down to the back of mu knees, and up my back. It was one of the most intensely annoying things I have experienced. I went on antihistamines to clear it up, I ended up on multiple ones to keep it under control. It took a further month or so to clear up totally. This reaction I have read is not unheard of.

So in summery, there is good and bad in this drug, I was one of the unlucky ones to get a really bad reaction.

Exp Year: 2012ExpID: 98077
Published: Nov 19, 2020Views: 225
Pharms - Bupropion (87) : Retrospective / Summary (11), Health Problems (27), Medical Use (47), Not Applicable (38)