Help Erowid Reach a New High
Contribute during Erowid's September Public Support Drive
Help make this our biggest month ever & have your donation matched (1x, 2x, or 3x!)
Out of Body Experience
Salvia divinorum
by LaChorrera
Citation:   LaChorrera. "Out of Body Experience: An Experience with Salvia divinorum (ID 9903)". Erowid.org. Oct 11, 2001. erowid.org/exp/9903

DOSE: 2 hits smoked Salvia divinorum (dried)

I once had an OBE after toking 2 gigantic bong rips of Salvia Divinorum leaf. I was holding the second blast in and I started to feel a tingle start in my limbs. The next thing I know my astral body is being pulled out the back of my physical body and then through the wall of my house. Down my block I went being pulled by an unseen force.

The feeling of having your conscience forcefully pulled out of your body is a pretty amazing and scary experience. It reminded me of the way peoples spirits were pulled from thier bodies in the movie Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I was about three houses down my block when I suddenly realized that I shouldn't go any farther for fear that my physical body might die if I went too far.

I had to fight with all my might to travel back into my house and back into my body sitting in a chair. I entered my body the same way I left it, through the back. At that point I opened my eyes and saw my friend who was there to watch over me while I was under. He was laughing at me, which kind of bothered me cause I couldn't comprehend what had happened to me. It felt as if there was magnet pulling back in the direction of my OBE (I checked later and the direction was exactly east). I tried as hard as I could to turn around in my seat, because I was sure there would be some sort of tunnel or worm hole into hyperspace. Of course there was no tunnel, but the effort to turn around was exhausting.

I've had breakthrough Salvia experiences all of the 6 times I smoked it out of a bong, but none of them have ever compared this humbling experience. Haven't tried DMT yet, but for a legal, immediate, short-acting high Salvia is the most intense psychedelic I've ever tried.

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 9903