Review Erowid at GreatNonprofits.org!
Help us be a "Top Rated Nonprofit" for the 10th year in a row
and spread info about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Yet Another Research Empathogen!
MDAI
by Refried Gluten
Citation:   Refried Gluten. "Yet Another Research Empathogen!: An Experience with MDAI (exp99396)". Erowid.org. Feb 25, 2013. erowid.org/exp/99396

150 mg oral MDAI (powder / crystals)
  T+ 1:30 100 mg oral MDAI (powder / crystals)

The material in question was purchased from a Canadian distributor, and arrived as a dark grey-brown, fine powder. It had a smell like bitumen. The initial experiment was a bioassay, to be sure the delivered material provided expected results prior to taking a full dose.

1st Trial - 20 mg insufflated - July 10, 2012 - Home

T+0:00 Ė Began with 2 mg. The smell of bitumen pervaded the nose and was quite unpleasant. No significant effects noted. Felt tingling sensations in neck and face after about 3 minutes, but this was likely a placebo effect.

T+0:05 Ė Snorted remaining 3 mg of a 5 mg pile.

T+0:10 Ė Snorted another 5 mg. No effects noted.

T+0:15 Ė Snorted another 5 mg. No effects noted.

T+0:20 Ė Snorted another 5 mg. No effects noted, beyond occasional chills and tingling in the neck and face.

Conclusion: Effects at 20 mg are insignificant to non-existent, which suggests it would be reasonably safe to take this at a higher dose, however Iíll still proceed with caution and work up to a full dose. Insufflating this material is quite nasty, so oral or rectal ROA is going to be preferred.

2nd Trial - 120 mg oral - October 7, 2012 - Home

T=0:00 - 7:40 PM Ė Dosed 50 mg oral MDAI. This shit tastes like bitumen Ö so does the fact that it is a muddy brown color suggest that is might actually contain bitumen, perhaps as a by-product of the synthesis? Unsettling to say the least.

T+0:30 - 8:10 PM Ė I donít feel off baseline at all so I take another 70 mg.

T+1:00 - 8:40 PM Ė Surprisingly I feel barely off baseline at all. Maybe I have just a bit more energy, but thatís about it.

T+2:00 - 9:40 PM Ė Virtually nothing more has developed.

Conclusion: Iím beginning to doubt the quality of this substance. Surely I should have felt something by now, beyond a slight light headedness, although there is so little data on MDAI to compare to so I canít be sure. I decide to stop here and save further experimentation for another day.

3rd Trial - 250 mg oral - October 16, 2012 - Home

T=0:00 - 5:45 PM Ė Dosed 150 mg on an empty stomach.

T=0:30 - 6:15 PM Ė Feeling a bit of burning in my gut, probably because I havenít eaten anything. Feel a bit off baseline with just a touch of nausea.

T=0:60 - 6:45 PM Ė Definitely off baseline. I feel like Iím on a light dose of 4-MMC. Nervousness in the belly, dry mouth. Heart rate is 95 Ö quite speedy.

T=1:30 - 7:15 PM Ė Dosed an additional 100 mg. At this point I figure if I am going to test this stuff I might as well go all in. At the time of swallowing the dose Iím at a strong plus one. I donít think the nature of this chemical has really made itself known yet. Feels a lot like a cathinone come-up and less like MDMA. Perhaps a bit like methylone but not quite as pleasant. There is a distinct nervousness, although overall it is not too uncomfortable.

Even though I havenít eaten all day, I donít feel like eating. I am hungry, I just donít really have an appetite. I just cooked up (of all stupid things) a samosa (because it was easy) but the pasty, potatoey dryness doesnít work that well at all with a substance that causes dry-mouth. Oh well, at least itís reasonably nourishing.

T=2:00 - 7:45 PM ĖIn the end, the food went down all right and I actually feel better for it because I think I was getting a bit weak and shaky from hunger. Iím now at a plus 2. Very methylone-like, although my eyes feel a bit sleepy as though I could sleep if I laid down. My heart rate is still about the same.

T=2:20 - 8:05 PM Ė Definitely rolling quite hard all of a sudden, a moderate to strong plus 2. The come up has been even and steady all the way through, even with the booster dose, I havenít felt any dramatic rush. I have a bit of nastygmus, but not so much the roll-back-in-the-head type as the desire-to-close-my-eyes type. Overall this feels like about the right dose for a social setting. Itís nice, but I donít feel like dancing and my heart rate is up a bit, 115, and it seems to be beating quite hard. I hear it in my ears and feel it in my neck. Probably quite a bit of vasoconstriction going on. Stretching on this stuff feels great! Iím also feeling quite horny.

T=2:45 - 8:30 PM Ė It doesnít appear to have gotten any stronger in the past few minutes so I seem to be plateauing at about a strong plus 2. Probably just the right dose for socializing, but so far this material isnít offering up that much. There is certainly compassion there. Iíve thought about a few people over the past little while and all of my thoughts are of fondness and compassion. I have a bit of a headache, and most of the effects seems to be taking place in my head, like 4-MMC, although as I said, stretching does feel good indeed.

T=3:15 - 9:00 PM Ė Again, pretty much on the plateau still. Feel quite good. A bit of jaw and neck tension and shakes, but otherwise okay. Some nastygmus remains as well.

T=4:15 - 10:00 PM Ė Feel like Iíve come down somewhat now. It appears the duration of this is perhaps a bit longer than MDMA and methylone. No crappy feelings whatsoever, so thatís great.

I failed to document my experience past this point, but looking back, I donít remember any significant negative effects.

Conclusion: Overall I found MDAI to be a reasonably satisfying as an empathogen, but although causing my heart to rise I didnít really feel all that stimulated. Dancing was not what I had on my mind. This might be a nice one to do again on a quiet evening with friends, or to accompany a long yoga session.

One other thing to mention is that since buying this material, Iíve bought it again and the colour is now white. Iíve checked other resources and found that most current sources are providing white material and some positive GC/MS testing data that I found online described it as a white powder. The general online forum consensus seems to be that the early batches of brown MDAI may have been un-pure or adulterated through poor synthesis. Iíve since tried white MDAI and found the strength to be similar to the brown stuff that I had, but I really donít have enough experience with both batches to be sure about the comparative strength, and the brown batch is now long gone. One might never know the truth, but those are my findings for what they are worth.

Exp Year: 2013ExpID: 99396
Published: Feb 25, 2013Views: 17,645
MDAI (499) : Alone (16), Retrospective / Summary (11)