Survey: Hallucinogens & Relationships
Researchers at Columbia University are seeking
individuals who have used a psychedelic while in a
romantic relationship, for an anonymous survey.
Both individuals & couples are invited to participate.
Check out the Survey
Almost 5 Months of Research
Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & M. tenuiflora)
by Cowboy Buddha
Citation:   Cowboy Buddha. "Almost 5 Months of Research: An Experience with Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & M. tenuiflora) (exp105290)". May 9, 2018.

T+ 0:00
3 g   Syrian Rue (seeds)
  T+ 0:40 10 g   Mimosa tenuiflora (rootbark)


Kitchen Preparation of Ayahuasca Analogue

After almost 5 months of research, I felt ready to undertake the preparation of an Ayahuasca analogue to experiment with the effects thereof. Up to this point, I had never ingested a hallucinogen, so I did extensive research in the area of preparation and dosing before beginning.

I measured out 10 grams of powdered Mimosa Hostilis root bark, placed it in a small stainless steel saucepan, added 300mL of tap water, added the juice of one lemon, and set the mixture to simmer slowly. In another stainless steel saucepan, I added 3 grams of powdered Syrian Rue, 300mL tap water, the juice from one lemon, and set it to simmer slowly. When each mixture had reduced in volume by approximately half, they were strained through a French press coffee maker, then the solids transferred back to their respective saucepans with an additional 300mL of tap water and juice from one lemon. This was done three times until I had approximately 450mL of each liquid. At this point, the solids were discarded, and the liquids simmered until reduced to approximately 200mL of volume.

My research indicated how unpalatable the liquids would be, so after each liquid was poured off into a tea mug, I added approximately 4 TBSP of white granulated sugar and stirred each until the sugar had dissolved. I set each “tea” aside for a short time to cool off while I made the remainder of my preparations before ingestion.

The setting for my journey was my room, which is upstairs in the house. Earlier in the day, I had thoroughly cleaned my house, and took the time to remove posters from walls, change the bedding to something with a single, neutral color, and had dusted and disinfected. I also found a small bucket that I placed within easy reach should I actually need to purge after ingestion of the materials. I had also loaded up a play-list on my mp3 player with a selection of tracks meant for meditation – Tibetan bells, binaural beats, isochronic beats, etc.

After checking to make sure my preparations were in order, I first ingested the tea made from the Syrian Rue. Even with the addition of sugar to take the edge off, the taste reminded me of bile. After each large mouthful of liquid was swallowed, I would swish and chase the taste down with a bit of Ginger Ale, which I hoped would help to counteract nausea somewhat. From here, I begin tracking time:

T+00:30 – The Syrian Rue has been consumed, and I am waiting to ingest the other tea until I feel confident that I have enough of the Rue in my system to make the Mimosa Hostilis orally active. I am beginning to feel slightly disconnected, and if I concentrate on an object and then quickly move my eyes, I can see the beginnings of “tracers”.

T+00:40 – I consume the tea made from the Mimosa Hostilis root bark. This also tastes unpleasant, but for me, it is the grittiness of the liquid that is most unpalatable. I should have strained the liquid better I think. Just a few more swallows, swishing and chasing each with Ginger Ale.

T+1:30 – I can definitely feel that the substances are working. I have a distinct low buzzing happening somewhere deep inside my head, and it feels almost as though there is energy or electricity coursing through my body. I am definitely nauseous, but am trying to hold off purging as long as possible so I can make sure I have the DMT in my system.

T+1:45 – I can't wait any longer; I need to purge. I go over to the bucket, kneel down over it, and begin purging. It's not a purging like I've gotten from the flu or from food poisoning, nor is it even all that particularly unpleasant. It is over after a few minutes, and I feel immediately better afterwards. I close my eyes, and am struck by closed-eye visuals (CEV). I decide to lay down on my bed. I get up, turn off the lights, lay down on the bed, put on my headphones, and close my eyes. I am bombarded by patterns in a kaleidoscope of colors. The patterns move and dance in time with the music I am listening to.

T+2:00 – I can no longer feel my body. I can't discern temperature, and am unable to move my arms or legs. I feel like my brain has been removed from my body and is just on it's own to experience this. From someplace deep inside my consciousness, I giggle, and then can feel the sensation of my brain being squeezed through the top of my head like toothpaste leaving a tube. Afterwards, the colors, patterns, images become even more heightened. They move faster than I can describe. Eventually, they begin to subside, and I have the sense that I am not alone. I can sense a presence near me, but cannot see them.

T+3:00 – The presence is still with me, but now I am being shown vistas and landscapes that are a combination of historical sites and technological wonder. I can see the Great Pyramid, but watch it break apart into a million gears and pulleys. I can see the inside of a fine watch and see how some of the components look like Stonehenge. Every once in a while, the images will go very, very dark and frightening, but they come back to ones more pleasant.

T+3:30? - I lose consciousness at some point. Maybe my system becomes overwhelmed and shuts me down. The next thing I know, a couple hours have passed.

T+5:30? - I wake up and have soaked my pillow with tears, and my sinuses are extremely clogged. I raise up to blow my nose, and my balance is off. I feel as though I am spinning, and as I try to look around my darkened room, I see tracers. The CEV are still present, but nowhere nearly as pronounced, and I can't sense the presence of anyone else in my space.

T+6:00 – I fall asleep, this time of my own choice and sleep soundly for approximately 11 hours.

T+17:00 – I wake up, a bit groggy, but no worse for wear. I don't feel “hungover”. I am hungry, and I am in a very good mood.

My good mood lasts for about a week afterwards, and it is a genuine good mood, not a manic state. I feel more positive and more able to face challenges.

Exp Year: 2014ExpID: 105290
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: 37 
Published: May 9, 2018Views: 1,528
[ View as PDF (for printing) ] [ View as LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Switch Colors ]
Huasca Combo (269) : Alone (16), Preparation / Recipes (30), First Times (2)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission prior to your downloading the data.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults