Donate BTC or other Cryptocurrency
Your donation supports practical, accurate info about psychoactive
plants & drugs. We accept 9 cryptocurrencies. Contribute a bit today!
Lettuce Rest
Lactuca - L. virosa & Melatonin
by Baba Naga
Citation:   Baba Naga. "Lettuce Rest: An Experience with Lactuca - L. virosa & Melatonin (exp107066)". Erowid.org. Jul 9, 2019. erowid.org/exp/107066

10 - 35 ml oral Lactuca - L. virosa (extract)
  5 mg oral Melatonin

The most effective treatment I've found for my insomnia is Ambien. Unfortunately, as I enjoy the daytime effects as well, I find myself running out of my prescription early, and trying to preserve the last of the nighttime effects by dissolving a pill or two in different substances.

One day I saw some Wild Lettuce Glycerite Compound for sale in my local organic grocery store. I knew the Ambien would be running out soon, and had heard of Wild Lettuce's soporific effects. Herbal sleep aids have had very little effect on me, but I figured I'd give it a go as a vehicle for the zolpidem. I bought a 30 ml bottle, and dropped an Ambien in it when I got home.

In the next few days, I was back to having coffee as my only daytime intoxicant. I drank the Wild Lettuce at night in slightly-higher-than-advised doses, so it only lasted me two or three nights (can't remember specifically). I found that, when I tried to get to sleep, a gradual and subtle heaviness overtook me, and I was able to doze off after about an hour or two in bed (for me, this is excellent). (The melatonin I took has never had an observable effect in helping me sleep, but I keep taking it in the hopes I can someday get my cycle under control.)

When I got to the end of the bottle, I discovered that the Ambien was still there! The glycerine hadn't dissolved its outer coating the way an alcohol would have.

I've bought the Wild Lettuce Glycerite Compound a few more times since then, and found that the effects remained about the same without imaginary Ambien. It's good to find an herbal sleep aid that actually helps: I've started inspecting all the Wild Lettuces I come across seeing if I could identify the virosa species, but haven't made a positive one yet. If I do, I'll try my hand at wild harvest.

Exp Year: 2014ExpID: 107066
Published: Jul 9, 2019Views: 844
Lactuca - L. virosa (340), Melatonin (94) : First Times (2), Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), Combinations (3), Alone (16)