Support accurate info and harm reduction.
Donate $50+ and get a Know Your DrugsData tee
An Intense Trip, To Be Sure
Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & M. tenuiflora)
by LF
Citation:   LF. "An Intense Trip, To Be Sure: An Experience with Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & M. tenuiflora) (exp30765)". Erowid.org. Aug 9, 2005. erowid.org/exp/30765

2.6 g oral Syrian Rue (ground / crushed)
  T+ 0:00 7.0 g oral Mimosa tenuiflora (rootbark)

Last night was in-fucking-tense. I brewed up some ayahuasca using about 24 g of mimosa hostilis root bark, and after taking ~2.6 g ground Syrian rue each, me and two friends split it semi-evenly between us. Thereís still a nice bit left now, because none of us felt like venturing into a totally full dose (least of all my second buddy, whoís a bit inexperienced with most psychedelics). I took about 7 g of the bark worth of the tea, my first friend took about 6 g, and Iíd venture that my other buddy took about 6 g as well, though he took his dose spread out too far (2.5 hours from first to last sip) and he really didnít get any effects. (Or so he claims. I find it very hard to believe that he didnít trip AT ALL, with the way his eyes were dilated.)

At about T+30 minutes, I felt myself coming up hard. Really hard. Harder than I ever had before, which I suppose is to be expected with a drug of DMTís nature. Though Iíve done psychedelics many times, and weathered one extremely bad trip, I got a lot of rather unexpected come-up anxiety. It wasnít fear of anything in particular, except maybe a knowledge that I was about to be separated very forcibly from my ordinary way of perceiving things. For approximately the first fifteen minutes of the trip I attempted to relax myself by relaxing under the warmth of the blankets on my bed, letting the nice mellow electronic music I had going wash over me, but it didnít really help. I began hearing things, totally unreal sounds, and the visuals I was getting were omnipresent, I couldnít help but see things with my eyes closed or open. I feared keeping my eyes closed for any more than a short while, as I was afraid Iíd be lost in DMT space soon and the concept frightened me, though I really had a good idea of what to expect while I was there by this point (after hearing McKenna lecture on it for long amounts of time, and reading DMT: The Spirit Molecule, by Rick Strassman). Eventually I realized that all fighting it was doing was throwing my thoughts into more of a negative mentality, and I closed my eyes, gave into it, and rolled onto one side.

At this point, Iím not sure how much time passed, but I soon found myself lost in a dazzlingly intense full-on visual. The word Ďvisualí really doesnít do it justice, though, since it was nothing less than a vision. I lost all sense of contact with my body, I didnít realize or care if I was breathing anymore. Then, my imagination spilled over in front of my eyes. I saw, floating and spinning in perfectly white 3-D space, a large, completely flat disc. As it spun, strange runes and letters from an alphabet that defies description (except to say that they were very hard, sharply carved symbols. Very few curves) slowly etched itself onto the disc. As it spun, the letters shimmered and glowed with a light that I can't describe as anything less than divine. Suddenly, the disc was thrust into a slot that was just as high as it wasÖsort of like a coin slot on an arcade game. A waterfall blossomed over the top of this slot, and around the waterfall, a green landscape unlike any Iíve ever seen or imagined slowly formed. There was water everywhere, not really flowing to or from anywhere in particular, and not so much on top of the green landscape as a part of it. It was impossible, but then, thatís what most intense DMT visuals are characterized by. Just as I was beginning to really get a handle on how gorgeous this entire scene was, I opened my eyes. For what reason, I donít know.

From that point on the trip was probably the best trip from a drug-only standpoint Iíve ever had (Iíve had better overall nights other times, but no drug have I enjoyed this much). The open and closed-eye visuals remained incredibly intense, but I didnít ever lapse into a vision like the one I described earlier again. Rather than geometric lattices appearing on everything as they ordinarily do on, for example, LSA, everything that I looked at that had a texture or pattern to it melted into fantastic order and gorgeous symmetry. At the same time this happened, everything I looked at morphed, twisted, and danced to the music and formed beats of its own as well. For the remainder of the trip, I simply enjoyed some excellent conversation with the people in the room. We talked about life, the universe, and everything else, as is common in altered states. Friendship is a grand, grand thing.

I began to come down, and we turned off the Winamp visualization that had been on our TV the entire time, and watched some Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.

After I overcame the initial anxiety, it was a great night. All in all, definitely an experience I want to repeat. Hope you enjoyed reading about it.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 30765
Published: Aug 9, 2005Views: 8,444
Mimosa tenuiflora (74), Syrian Rue (45), Huasca Combo (269) : Small Group (2-9) (17), General (1)